1.31.2010

Love and Joy with Gracyn

I started this post back in December. I was going through a really painful period of bonding with Gracyn. I felt that our growing love was starting to slow, and I knew we still had a relationship that we needed to work on. My love for her still continues to grow and change with the seasons. She is a three year old girl, but she is still my 15 month old baby. In many ways, developmentally, she is about a year and a half to two years of age. As I sit here and type, I realize that she was 15 months old at referral, and two years old when we met.

I have been watching Addi grow so fast over the past 4 months, and it reminds me how much of Gracyn's life I wasn't there for. Seven more months and she'll have spent half her life with me and half without. I was heartbroken that I missed Gracyn's 2nd birthday by less than a week. But she had a happy second birthday with people she loved and with people who loved her. She had a cake! That was my hope for her. To have spent her 2nd birthday with us would have made for sad memories. Here's my girlfriend turning 2. . .

 

 


Gracyn is growing by leaps and bounds. She now asks to "baby" which means I cradle her in my arms like a baby and we just stare into each other's eyes and I love on her soft cheeks. She still loves for me to hold her face in the palms of my hands. She has the most generous heart. She shares with everyone. She might ask for "two" of something but that's a bad habit she learned from her big brother. If she's by herself, even if it's just pretzels, she will only take one. Well, this might not hold true with M&M's, but for everything else it does!

She will wear anything if I put the same thing on Addi or Peyt. She's finally learning to want what she wants, not just want what Peyt wants. She's a great eater, her muscle tone is improving, and she loves to pray. She knows the letters T, D, G, P, A, J, V, and S. Being the sweetheart that she is, she knows these letters because they are the first letters of the names of those she spends the most time with!

She's riding a tricycle and she's potty training! (Want a potty training tip? Put a sanitary pad in big girl panties and the dribble accidents are captured without clean up!) She would still rather clean house than play. Hope that's something that stays with her in her teenage years! And her eyes are still the most expressive part of her. She tells all with those big ole beautiful eyes. If someone gave me photos of just her eyes, I could name the emotion. There's her "surprise, uh-oh" eyes, her "guilty" eyes, her "scared" eyes, her "sad" eyes, and her "joyful" eyes. The joyful eyes that I waited so long to see with my own two eyes. . .

 


She's talking up a storm! Praise God. I never thought we'd have to tell her "shhhh". Since Gracyn started talking more I've heard more "no's", a lot more fighting with her brother, but I've also heard some special words. It wasn't until tonight that some of those special words were so clear and so real. . .not just her repeating words. After reading her a book and praying with her I tucked her into bed. She would rather sleep with a hard book over a soft cuddly animal, so at her request, in went the book beside her. I left on the big bedroom light because she said the small night light hurts her eyes. I covered her up and said, "love you." And in her sweet voice I hear, "love you, mom." I walked out of the room with my heart smiling and overflowing with joy. She loves me. . .she finally loves me.

We've come a long way in a year girlfriend. Sweet dreams. . .love you.
 


11 comments:

Sarah said...

ooooooh! Love this! Makes my heart so happy!

The Family K. said...

And I love the pictures, esp. the one of Gracyn running.

It's true that with adoptive parenting, you just can't take your child's affection for granted. The first "I love you, Mom" means so much more. I'm so glad you finally got to hear those words. It sounds like Gracyn is really blossoming.

Lisa said...

Oh, thank you for always, just always sharing these special and amazing moments with us all.

I don't think a single one of us reading this reflective and lovely post will fail to recognize the significance of her sharing those first and precious words with you.

She sounds absolutely charming and so full of love.....she has loved you all fiercely I know long before she could say the words....

Your photos are breathtaking and I so relished peeking back at her 2nd birthday party ~ and the running shot? Gorgeous...they all are!

What a lovely post.....enjoy this special time of blossoming & new beginnings!

P.S. LOL I was ignoring my laundry to blog too....great minds and all, right?? :)

Jill said...

What a heartwarming post!
LOVE the pics of the 2 of you!
:)

Eva said...

Such a treat to read this post - it warms my heart. I love love her running photo and the photos of you two together!

Eva

Tiffany said...

Hi Tiffanie... this is Tiffany from the Rawsii class..
Thank you for your sweet compliments on our blog.
It is so funny that our girls have the same outfits and that the boys dress so much alike. Your children and you guys are just beautiful. As is your photography!

Thank you for adding me to your blog list!

I loved looking through your blog.
I also really appreciate this post. I try to hard not to think about the time I missed with both of my children.... but some days it comes to my mind and I wish I had that time.
I also remember so well the first time they each said I love you. Music to the ears!

So glad to meet you and I am really looking forward to the class!

Ruth said...

You are perfect together! Looks like she is getting so big :-)

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

bawlin here! Dont just love the sound of it! :) Thanks for sharing so much :) and I know how you feel in some ways, Noah was thought to probably be mute and he says I u oo and mowee and I just love it! :) I never knew if I would hear it :) I am so glad to see yalls little relationship growing :)

love ya
tami
PRAYING JEREMIAH HOME QUICKLY
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

Our Family said...

Hi Tiff,

I've been away for what seems like forever, but I honestly do think about you guys all of the time! I am so happy to hear how well things are going with Gracyn. Still can't wait to meet Addi.
Take care,
Lori

Steve n Coco said...

I can't believe I missed this post! Beautifully said. I can't wait for my first "I love you, mama." Brings tears to my eyes.

Be blessed,
Courtney
p.s. thanks for the potty training tip! I'll remember that one...

Tisra said...

In the day to day, maybe we don't see the strides being made. But here, written out, you can not deny that your sweet little girl is BONDING and ATTACHING and growing closer to her Mommy and family!