7.02.2010

Following in my footsteps. . .

When I first started this blog it was with the intention of documenting our adoption journey to Gracyn. About 2 years ago, we were still waiting for First Decree, and I was a stress ball. I had yet to learn how to lay it before His feet, and carried so much burden on my shoulders. We had received very few updates, very few photos, watched other families receive referrals, travel and return home while we still waited.

I googl*d Ping Tung, the city where Gracyn was living. I would find as many photos of Ping Tung and match the style of home and furniture with the few photos of her foster family's home. I would study the photos over and over again try to imagine what Gracyn looked like (we had old pictures), what her voice would sound like, and wondered how big she had grown since our referral which was back in the Fall of 2008. I actually figured out where she lived and had believed at that time that I knew what tribe her foster family originated from, and it turned out that I was correct. I knew in my heart I was, which is why before I met her I picked up jewelry for her specific to the family's Paiwan tribe.

On Gotcha Day, When I began to start asking questions through the translator I quickly learned that God had answered my prayers. Gracyn had been with a Christian family her whole life. She knew Him, she knew church, and once home she so comfortably would raise her hand up to Him during worship. For those of you who have followed along since we first started this blog, do you remember all of those photos of her looking up at the sky? Some looked like she was praising God. I didn't know what she was doing exactly, but now I believe she was in fact praising God, and praying for her heart to heal from the grief of losing the only family that she knew.

We never believed those who said the transition period could take the same amount of time as the time she was apart from us, which meant two years. Well, we're nearing the two year mark, and things are really settling in. Sure, we're still dealing with some tantrum issues, and some minor sensory issues, but my "girlfriend" has come a long way. When she first came home, I would find myself staring at her trying to figure out who she took after. Who she got her beautiful eyes from, her clumsiness quirky gait, her love of music, and her love of dancing. One of the few happy moments we shared in Taiwan was after I listened to music that warmed my heart just in time for that first kiss. Remember this post?

Today, I can't say that I really ever think about where her likes and dislikes come from. She's His child, and He chose me to be her Mommy, and well, she's following in MY footsteps and making my heart melt. She's still learning how to use full sentences, but after she saw her big brother take Kinderdance, she said to me, "Mommy, tap shoes?" - Heck YES girlfriend!

Me: "Mommy buy you tap shoes!"
Gracyn: "Mommy you buy me tap shoes?"
Me: "You learn how to go pee pee on the potty, and Mommy buy you tap shoes."
Gracyn: Sitting on the toilet, "You buy me tap shoes?"

QUESTION: Do you know how many times a child pees while potty training?! Especially when they're really tiny with small bladders and love to drink juice? And do you know how persistent she is? And how well her little memory works?
 

ANSWER:
Way too many times. I confess that she still isn't fully potty trained, but since she not only got my love for dancing, but she also got my persistence and memory - well, there's no point in that battle. . .I know. Trust me. She's still talking about her tap shoes almost daily and has only had 2 lessons. . .

 

As a girl who spent most of her young life in a dance studio, this makes me want to dance. . .
 

But seriously, do you see how interested she is in these ballet shoes?!
 

Sweet, sweet girl. . .
 

I love this one. . .
 

So curious. . .
 

And seriously, who could say no to these eyes?!
 


Gracyn, you may have been grown in my heart, and a gift from God, but girlfriend, you are following in my footsteps being my girly girl. Now if you'd just stop hiding from the camera, we'd be set! I can't believe how much you've grown. You've grown into yourself, into our home, into our family. I pray that you will be content with the life He has given you. You are so silly, you love chocolate more than me, and yes, I will buy you M&M pj's to match mine if I can ever find any. You love to play with dolls now (which your report from Taiwan said you were afraid of) and you love to play "Mommy" and wash your baby Josie (formerly Gracie May). Love you baby girl. . .And yes, I am your "friend" but I'm also MOMMY, okay? You'll have lots of friends before you know it. Who could resist your smile?

Shhh. . .I didn't really buy the tap shoes. They were hand-me-downs from her cousin who only wore them a few times about 8 years ago. I found them in the give away pile and held on to them until now. . .Cost savings warranted buying her a ballet skirt that she also sucked me convinced into buying. You can't possibly believe that last line, right? I need no convincing to buy ballet skirts, tap shoes, hair bows, or any accessory for that matter.

Did I mention she also likes to shop? And has grasped the concept of putting clothes into the cart at Targ*t???

Oh geez - this got really long didn't it??? Lisa - you're rubbing off on me!

19 comments:

Staci said...

Ha! You and Lisa get me everytime! You ladies have such a wonderful talent for writing. This post made me kinda (alot) teary. Your precious Gracyn has really come a long way! I LOVE that she's crazy for dancing. Adorable pictures!!

Jill said...

What a beautifully written post about sweet Gracyn! (She should've had a "Mommy's Girl" shirt on for this post though..LOL)

What a smart, beautiful, sweet, talented girl you have on your hands! You are right, HE has many plans for that daughter of yours! :)

Hugs, Jill

Expecting Good Things said...

She is so gorgeous! I love every single one of those pics. And I REALLY want a nice camera. That is great that she wants to take dance! Breelyn is taking dance and tumble and likes it but her attention span isn't quite there. But she has fun so that's all that counts. Breelyn isn't totally potty trained either. I don't push it. I really believe they'll do it when they're ready. :0)

michelle said...

I loved this post because I'm hoping that someday my Lexie will ask to take dance lessons. She is always dancing and making up her own moves. Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures of Gracyn. She is a cutie!

Ally said...

what a sweet post and beautiful pictures:) I also have one of those persistent little girls and she doesn't forget a thing! Thanks for sharing.

lorabelle said...

Reading this post really melts my heart... You are always so open and honest with your emotions and feelings. Thank you for allowing all of us to share in the beauty of watching your relationship blossom, as you fall deeper and deeper in love with your daughter.
She is SO yours Tiff...
What a beautiful match God made!

You captured so much in your photo's by the way... I can the pride she has in herself! The excitement, curiosity and happiness just shines in those beautiful eyes and now confident smile...
Good job Mama!

Sarah said...

Love this. :) And getting teary reading Lora's comment, "What a beautiful match God made." Amazing how He gets it just right.

Lisa said...

The photos are just radiant of your darling girl!

And her beauty shines both inside & out, just like her Mama!

I hadn't yet found you for the first part of this incredible journey, but through your thoughtful & lovely retellings, I feel as if I have watched this relationship grow all along. How priveleged I feel to have done so!

Isn't it remarkable that you reach a place in time, where the past anchors your both while also giving glimpses into the future. I think perhaps your Mama's heart & intuition were telling you all along who she would be....I had goosebumps when you shared that you had guessed her tribe before you even knew! Amazing........

Then again.....just as Lora said.....God does make perfect matches.....in his grace, anything is possible.

AND LOL....sorry my...er...*lengthy* ways have gotten the better of you....*grin* but I wouldn't take a word away that you shared in this post..... as its just right!!

The Family K. said...

Sounds like God matched her so well. In 15 years, I fully expect to see both her and big bro. on "So You Think You Can Dance, dance, dance..."

Annie said...

I love your beautiful descriptive posts! Such a sweet time of growing and such a sweet girl and momma! By the way, I'm a dancer and have a particular love of tapping too! I loved my first pair of tap shoes!

Jen said...

Oh my goodness, what a beautiful blog post...and of course, beautiful pictures. She looks heavenly. I love all of the pictures, but my favorite is where she is looking curious :o)

I loved when you wrote this, "I had yet to learn how to lay it before His feet, and carried so much burden on my shoulders. " That is sort of how I feel now. I so desperately need to learn that lesson!

When you wrote of the scrapbook page, I quickly ran, pulled it out and read. What a beautiful page, thank you so very much! I really appreciated that book, but was unsure of who made many of the pages.

I would love to take you up *also* on the pictures. Maybe sometime in the fall, my favorite season! You have an amazing talent....I love looking through your blog.

I just saw Aviana's button on there, thank you for sharing her story!

I would really love to meet you sometime. You seem like a wonderful person =)

Love,

Jen

Jen said...

I had an instant thought after reading your post.

We happened to go to the M & M World in New York and Las Vegas (within about 20 days, if you can believe that) and I thought, for sure, you would be able to find the PJ's on their website.

I looked, and sadly their online selection is nothing like their in store items. They had the cutest little jammies there ;o)

Debbie said...

M&M store is 4 stories tall on the strip in Las Vegas. They have M&M PJs for both girls and boys. I was there in May 2010

Debbie said...

BTW your photos are simply stunning.

As I read your blog here at work, passerbys ask if Grayson's picture is Madison. They still like sisters.

Christel Ann Cook said...

Amazing pictures as usual!!! what a doll!!!

Thanks for your comments on my blog... if you want the whole story see my china blog... :) its still unfolding... :)

Unknown said...

She is absolutely stunning. The most expressive face, really!

Caroline LOVED her tap shoes. I got her ballet and tap shoes at Children's Orchard (you can sell and buy gently used clothes there) for $5. Payless had the tap shoes for $25 and the ballet for $20 so I saved a good amount and have now handed them down to someone else.

Beautiful post. God has big plans for her!

Steve n Coco said...

What a beautiful little girl. And how fun that she is following in your footsteps! I think that must be something that I long for, too...

I hadn't heard the thing about it taking as long as the child was away from you to get settled-- I believe it though and I will keep it in mind :)

Be blessed,
Courtney

Tiffany said...

Love this post (do I say that every time) and the beautiful photos. Gracyn sounds like quite the little girl and oh she is beautiful.
I loved reading about her and it sounds like she is quite the talent just like her mom!

Ashton said...

She is SO cute!