How do you make being sick fun?Our whole family has been fighting the sicky bugs for over a week. We quarantined ourselves to the house over the weekend, which meant we did things that we typically never do. We made rainbow crayons, and I baked banana bread. . .yes, let me repeat, I MADE banana bread, and it was delicious if I do say so myself. I'm caught up on laundry, a miracle in and of itself, and both kids have mastered taking meds via a little medicine cup, filled with the good stuff, plus some soda water or juice, and a straw.
Picture of flowers, Mama and Peyton on yellow paper - his favorite color.
Sick Day Fun
Rainbow Crayons
PROOF
Kids and their "Ketch-Ups"
The had their check-ups with the Pediatrician on Monday. Peyton calls it a "Ketch-Up". . .Then again, he calls vanilla, pamil-wa, banana is pa-mana, sausage, is saw-chige, brother is brudder, and well, the center of an egg cooked over-easy, is cheese. Peyton was once almost diagnosed with Failure to Thrive. He weighed just over 15 pounds at 1 year of age, and was walking by 11 months. Today, at 4, he's 40", 44lbs. I know, I've done the math and looked at the charts. He's finally in the 30th percentile for height, and a whopping 90th percentile for weight, which means he's definitely my teeeny tiny sweet pea turned chunky monkey. He even has a cute little shimmy dance he'll do when we say, "chunk-ay monk-ay" - Shame on me, I know, judge me if you want, I don't care. He likes his big belly. I think he's trying to keep up with me!
Gracyn is now 2 years, 8 months, 36" tall, and 26lbs!! Just over 7 months ago, she weighed a mere 18 pounds, which for her height made her super duper skinny. She's still very petite. Only 30th percentile for height, which is tall for an Asian toddler, but under 10th percentile for weight. Gracyn did well with her booster shot. Peyton fought it all the way - then again she got one, and he got 4, plus a TB test. Poor guy - his chubby arms hurt all day.
Then AND Now. . .
To Buy or Not to Buy. . .
So, while we've all been under the weather, we've been camping out in the family room so I can sleep next to Gracyn without teaching her to co-sleep in our bed. The TV has been on quite a bit. . .A Nintendo DS commercial comes on, and Peyton says, "Can I get on of those?" - He rarely asks to buy anything, (besides food, hence chunky), so I'm really contemplating this one. . .But I'm trying to bribe him to trade in his paci's for the DS. . .when I suggested the trade, he stopped asking. Instead, he went on a Target run with Mommy and tricked me into buying a Speed Racer hand-held game, that made him feel like he was one step closer to a DS.
Oh, and today, when I told him he had saved up $30, he said, "Maybe I can by my DS." He can play video games, does the race car driving one better than I ever could or can even today. I know, the DS certainly won't help with the BMI, but he'll start soccer soon, and we've started playing baseball in the yard. So, for those of you with kids with these gadgets, do I buy one?




10 comments:
Maybe a Wii instead. The Wii has lots of sports games that require movement. There's always the Wii fit stuff that makes exercising fun.
Totally!!! Get the little man his own DS. He will LOVE it! Coen and Clayton each have one and they take it with them when we travel, go out to eat, wait for doctor's or dentist's appointments etc...
They actually started out with Gameboys's at Payton's age, but I don't think they make those anymore. The Wii is great for home, but the DS is wonderful for travel. Oh, and there are educational games too! My kids like the "teacher" game.
Love the pictures of the kids together. You sound like you're rocking the mom thing, sickness and all. Can you come over to my house when we're all sick and make crayons and banana bread? Please? Pretty please?
While we don't have a DS or Wii yet, Andrew does have a Leapster which is a fun and educational diversion while we're on road trips and such. While he enjoys it, surprisingly he's not as glued to it as I thought he could be, so there's hope!
First, totally get him either a DS or we opted for the Leapster. I love it because the games are for kids Peyton and Bailey's age and they're actually educational (I promised I'd never say that but they are!). Bailey has learned so much from her Leapster. They're cheaper too! I hope you guys are feeling better. You've inspired me to catch up with the wash today. When you start digging in the dryer for underwear, its just time, ya know? :) Oh, and Peyton's weight is fine. Don't be changing anything. Bailey was considered 90 percentile and then she thinned out all on her own. Kids do that. Gain weight and then shoot up in height and thin out. Love the Peyton version of words. You really should get video of that. Someday you'll beg to have that back. Love that kid, cracks me up. :)
Holli
Thanks Mamas. . .Peyton will love you all for telling me to buy him a DS. He has the Leapster, and I'm afraid if I get a Wii DH will be playing all night too! Or maybe I'm afraid I'll get hooked. I used to be a tetris-freak in college - I love puzzles.
Judy - I'm all yours!
Holli - Thank you for the encouragement on his weight - DH was a "husky" kid, so I'm a little worried - for health reasons of course. Hmm. . .maybe we should get the Wii and the DS. I'll have to get him on video! You're right - I should capture it.
That was simply a sweet sweet post....and loads of fun too! (except for the sickness part...I really hope you are all on the mend!)
Santa brought Lauren a DS for Christmas and she loves it! We had feared she would be glued to it constantly, but honestly she loves it best for road trips and when she wakes up at 5 a.m. and Mama says, "not just yet" to her request to come into the "big nest"! lol Does that sound mean? I do let her come in at 6 a.m.!! :)
AND we bought the game that gives cooking tutorials and its a BLAST for us all!! Maybe Santa will bring me one next year! ;)
The photos are beautiful and to me both of your kiddos look just right and healthy!! They grow and change so quickly and sometimes that kind of stuff is seasonal too....L is our skinny minny, but I swear she grows 5 inches each summer and foot size too! And Baby Tyler is my dumpling(though he hit the 90% for height yesterday...who knew??)...and I love it!
Hugs and wishes for a happy day!
Lisa
Buy Peyton a DS!! My boys are now 16 years and 13 years old. They each had a DS and had so much fun playing them, especially while we traveled!
I've resisted the DS and my kids are mad at me for it. The thing is, we have a fabulous neighborhood with tons of kids and I see the ones with DS's and they're outside playing a video game being anti-social. Drives me crazy. Lots of kids+ safe cul-de-sac should equal bike riding and kick ball, and does most of the time. We have a PS3 for in-house videogames and I just feel like it's enough. They'd like one, and maybe we will some day allow it. But for now, I'm happy to have one less thing to put limits on and hear whining about. We don't watch TV or play videogames during the school week (except for family time.... we all LOVE Dirty Jobs and Amazing Race and some Guitar Hero World Tour!). My kids are 8 1/2, 6, and 4.
Peyton is 40 INCHES TALL???? Does he understand the significance of this at Disneyland? Mikey JUST hit 40" a couple months ago and he's quick to share that info with every Tom, Dick & Harry. What a big boy P is!
I looked back and forth between G&Ps before & now pictures. It's so hard to believe they've matured so much, especially Peyton. He really made that step from baby to boy over the last 1/2 year. And G's changes are just as remarkable. I can still see the baby in her but she's also starting to look little girl.
I agree with Sarah. If you're gonna invest that much, a Wii sound like a better choice. Mikey has a V-Smile which he love love loves. It's supposed to be educational, too, but I think the only thing he's learned is 'video-cursing' at the thing. So, yeah, I'd get a Wii - especially if I hadn't just purchased a Bob! :-)
The crayons are cool - will have to try them here. Hope everyone if feeling better.
Jacob's getting a DS for his 5th bday. I hesitated because, as you know, he's super competitive and a bit obsessive. But car trips and even just his own alone time to chill out... I think it's great.
But then again, my kids climb to escape me... so don't listen to me.
Post a Comment