We had our "Ash Wednesday" service on Sunday. I know, defeats the whole Wednesday thing, but it gave me the opportunity to think about what I wanted to give up - keeping in my mind that it should be something that will bring me closer to God, or help me to become more Christ-like. . .Funny story about the Ash - Our Pastor couldn't find any ash in Christian stores, so he had to go to a Catholic store to purchase it. He was disturbed!
During service our Pastor suggested Coffee and ESPN, but was quick to say, "God would never expect us to give up ESPN, right?" I don't drink coffee anymore, so that was out. . .we don't eat out much, so that was eliminated. We have birthday cakes coming up and a trip to Disneyland, so chocolate in general, seemed really hard. . .I know it's supposed to be a sacrifice, but no chocolate cake? While I'm pregnant?. . .So, collectively, Darryl and I discussed what we wanted to work on and it's parenting Peyton. . .Yes, our 4 year old is a bit of a challenge at the moment. Darryl is giving up "raising his voice" - I witnessed him in action yesterday and we was in awesome control! I'm giving up the "use of time outs" for Peyton - which may sound odd, but it's to remind me to take the needed time to parent him and talk to him, rather than just put him on the wall with his hands folded and go about my own business. Oh, and I also gave up YORK PEPPERMINT patties, which if you've followed along for a while, are a big thing for me. I have a daily dose of York's amounting to at least 2, sometimes as many as 6 patties a day!!! I've gone through many bags of them since starting our adoption journey. The money saved on my York Addiction will be donated. (I'll of course up the donation, since York's aren't exactly THAT expensive.)
Gracyn decided on Sunday that she was done with her bottle. WOO HOO!!! She's been sleeping through the night without a bottle feeding, so I thought I'd try to put her down without one too. It worked!!! Sure hope this isn't just for LENT! And did you catch my earlier point - SHE'S SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT! In HER CRIB, not our bed. AND, she's let Daddy put her down 2 nights in a row - once with a few tears, but THEY did it! Oh, my prayers have been answered! PTL!
So, what are you giving up for the next 40 days? (Or 39, I guess, since we're down 1day already!)
2 comments:
What amazing self-control. I think about having to give up my M&Ms and I shudder. Perhaps I need to consider giving them up for that reason.
And how about that Gracyn sleeping through the night on her own?! What a tremendous step forward. Hooray!
You're giving up your first love? WOW. I think the rule is if you're pregnant, you're already giving up so much and you have a get-out-of-Lent-free card.
I'm a little behind. Can I start today? How about, I'm giving up being so hard on myself.
Post a Comment