. . .for 9 long months. From November 19th, 2007, until September 1, 2008, this is how I knew and fell in love with my daughter. I can't believe it's been a year since we received her referral. Sometimes it feels like just yesterday, but most of the time it feels like it was such a long, long time ago.
We were one of those families who got a referral relatively fast, but had a rather long wait. Not to mention the slow judge. . .As I sit here today, and I think of how Gracyn can't stand for me to put her down when I get home (not even for a second!) or how she crawls into bed and into my arms and falls back asleep while holding my hand, and then I reflect back just 12 weeks ago ago, and I'm in utter amazement. . .12 weeks and 2 days ago Gracyn celebrated her second birthday in Taiwan, while I was here finishing up my packing and getting ready to hop on plane. I used to lie in bed and pray for my daughter's comfort, for her and her foster family. I'd often cry thinking about the wait that felt like it would never end. Now, I still pray for her, but I thank Him for this incredible opportunity to be her Mommy. I thank Him for the lessons learned.
Just a thought. . .as you get older time flies by. When you're awaiting a referral or travel news, time drags. How is that? Then, when you get home and look back at it all, you wonder why it felt like it took years to meet your child. I got to thinking. . .when you're driving to a new location, somewhere you've never been, the ride always feels longer. You're looking around for signs, landmarks, worried you might get lost. I think the journey from referral to gotcha day felt longer than it should have because it was a journey I've never been on. A road I've never traveled, with no map, no estimated time of arrival, and no GPS guiding the way. Is it a journey I'd take all over again? Absolutely. But I think now that I've been there, my perspective has changed.
So, if you're one of those families who's waited longer than most for a referral, or someone who's watched almost everyone you know get their final decree and you're still waiting, or if you're crying because everyone got updates and their blogs are being visited while the one or two pictures you've received is in a post so long ago that no one sees it. . .know that others have been on that journey before. I have been on that journey. Take it all in. Every journey is meant to be unique as is each child. My journey was His plan and His plan brought me my Gracyn. I couldn't imagine in a million years having anyone but her. By they way, I used to digi-scrap the same pictures of Gracyn over and over again and pretend they were new. My way of coping. Now, I can barely find time to even upload all of her photos!
Just remember. . .In His time.
Happy Referral Day Gracyn!!! (She hasn't a clue why I made her take a picture with a "book" and didn't want the picture frame her lap!) But, I GOT IT!!!


13 comments:
Happy Referal Day friend! :) I am so blessed for you and blessed to have traveled the journey to your Gracyn and my Noah along side you :) I will never forget the joy I felt for YOU my friend when you finally had your girl :) And also how amazing it was to hear you had seen MY BOY! :) Its about time you update that family Photo on the side of your blog my friend! :)
hugs
Tami
Noah's mama
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com
Your little princess puts a smile on my face!
"By they way, I used to digi-scrap the same pictures of Gracyn over and over again and pretend they were new. My way of coping."
I used to do that too... often!
what a lovely post and congrats on referral day..we are one of those families waiting
What encouragement to those who wait! Also, I just can't get over how precious Gracyn is. You are cherishing ALL the moments, big and small. You will always be grateful that you did!
hugs from TX,
Shannon
*sigh* Thank you. Your words are right on target. When it never quite feels like it will work out or time is feeling like molasses, these are good words to reflect on. And just know that He is SO in control, not us.
Gracyn is lovely, happy one year of knowing she existed!
Be blessed,
Courtney
Just when you think she's as pretty as can be, she becomes even more beautiful! I remember first meeting you at HS and you pulling out a dog-eared photo (I think it was the upper left one) and said it's the only one you'd ever received. Taking into account all the changes since then (we got a referral, brought home J, you brought home G) it seems like AGES ago. But when I look at the calendar, it was just yesterday!
Gracyn is just beautiful! Happy referral day!
Eva
So Sweet!!! Thank you for the encouragement... We are almost to 8 months now.. can you believe it? It seems like just last month you were there holding JO and picking up Gracyn!! Pray for us!
Sarah k
Taiwankiddo2.blogspot.com
I love her smile! I always find myself smiling right back at her. Do you do that too? I bet your face hurts from smiling all the time! She is just beautiful Tiff and it really shows how well she is adjusting with her family. I can't wait for you to get her on video talking it up and calling you MaMa... Hope it's soon!
Lora
She says MaMa!! Gracyn is so beautiful, it's amazing how much she has changed since coming home. I love the picture of her holding her referral...it gives me hope to know that Jake will hold his referral someday. Your words of encouragement mean so much...this helped me alot today.
Hey are you guys around Dec.6? I think that's a Saturday. December is starting to get crazy busy, as usual :) Would love to see you guys!
Hug,
Staci
The first part of 12/6 sounds great! I'll email later about details :)
Hope your having a great weekend!
Hugs
I've had a hard time coming to comment... because my tears wouldn't let me see. I have no idea why times fly when your having fun, which is why it's been so bittersweet for me (my at home children's ages have been suspended which is wonderful but my internal clock ticks away every moment I'm not with Milana as well). The lessons learned... resonates like a drum. I'm not the same person today as I was before this journey & I'm hopefully not as ignorant! ha ha Thank you for your words.... just when I needed ya!
Isn't funny when you just have to "get" those photos... I almost make everyone freeze-dried while they wait for me to get the camera.
Crying as I read this because you've totally described ME! I trust the Lord, and all that He is working on to make this an amazing, amazing family. He has our children in mind, our future daughter in mind, our finances, and especially our hearts. I'd be a MESS without Him. (but can I just admit that I'd love a GPS, or road signs or SOMETHING!!!!... that analogy was GREAT!)
Congratulations on all the milestones you've hit in the past months and on celebrating your REFERRAL DAY!!!
Post a Comment