I can't believe it's only been 2 months since I held her in my arms for the very first time, and a very short period of time. We took our first official family pictures today (11/1), and I can't wait to see them! Gracyn has grown so much since arriving home. . .and I don't mean she got taller or gained weight. She has changed, she has adjusted for the most part, and she has grown into our family. When I was waiting for Gracyn I appreciated the Moms who had the courage to post about the good and the bad, the amazingly wonderful moments and the ones that break your heart. With that said, I will try to do the same. . .
I often wondered how long it would take for Gracyn to "attach" to me. While in Taiwan, I was convinced it would take longer than the wait to bring her home. She wanted nothing to do with me, in fact I think she despised me. She would grieve, she would cry, she would kick, she would scream, she was pulling at her hair, scratching her skin until she bled, including her ears, and frankly, she was not my daughter, and didn't want to be. After coming home, I realized she was starting to attach to me. Within the first week I already noticed that she gravitated to Mommy. Was I comfortable with her staying close without me holding on? No, I thought she would wander off in search of something. . .anything to take her home to Taiwan. We often joked when she'd play "telephone" that she was calling Taiwan. After a month, while I felt she was attached, it wasn't until the start of the second month that I understood what I thought was her attaching to me, was her tolerating me. . .the lesser of two evils. When she began to put her head down on my shoulder, and I could feel that bond, that closeness that only a Mother and child and can share, I realized we were falling in love.
So today, as we've reached our two month anniversary since meeting on another, I can say, we're in love now. We went out to dinner for the first time without the kids today to celebrate my sister-in-law's 40th. A special dinner at a FABULOUS place, that well, isn't kid-friendly. Kids stayed home with Gong-Gong and I thought she'd cry for a few minutes like she does at daycare, and then realize I'd come home. Wrong. Sadly mistaken. She cried for nearly 2 hours straight. Stared out the back door looking for me, sat in the dark in the hallway to the garage waiting. My dad said that she found a picture of me (with Daddy, holding her referral picture) which was only within reach because we moved it down for the photo shoot today. She held onto it, laid on her back, and pointed to me. Was it hard to hear the report from Gong-Gong? Sure, but it was a different kind of "hard" - yes, I felt bad that she was miserable while we dined. However, it felt great to know that I was the person she was missing and wanting to comfort her. In Taiwan, Gracyn always wanted to be outside, and cried when she'd see the window hid behind the curtains, in search of her Foster Family. It seems she's grown attached to me now and that she has transferred her attachment from her first mother-figure to me.
I didn't get to finish this post last night because Gracyn woke up. . .update to the above is she had a terrible night sleeping. It seems that every time she has a really tough time, she has a set back. Today, however, while a little clingy, took a GREAT nap, and tonight seems to be sleeping like a baby! I can't wait to see how Gracyn continues to grow. On the "physical appearance" side of things, she's gained a few pounds, which Gong-Gong has affectionately named her "American belly" - but don't take that literally because at the age of 2, she's still very much in size 3 diapers with room to grow. Her hair has grown longer, her bangs are now pretty even and much thinner, her skin is much healthier and she smells like us. . .is that a weird thing to say? Even after bathing with Peyton, and washing her clothes with our laundry, she still didn't smell like us at first. . .now, she does.
I am looking forward to watching Gracyn continue to grow. Having her home brings all the joy I had hoped it would. Easy? No, not at all. The wait was difficult, the adjustment was trying, but seeing her gaze into my eyes, watching her fall asleep in seconds if I rest my hand on her cheek, to soothe her by touching her palms, and seeing how she has grown to rest her head upon my shoulder, and how her tiny body has grown perfectly into my arms, that is pure joy. Two months and growing more into our family day by day - growing in grace, with faith, hope and love.
Thank you to all of you who follwed our journey to bring her home, and follow her life here with us. Your support, your comments, your prayers mean more than you know! It took me 4 attempts to finish this post, and I'm starting to find myself short on time to keep up with Yahoo Groups, your blogs, and my own. Know that if I seem to be "missing", we're working on that "growing" thing, and think of you often. . .
13 comments:
what a beautiful post. im still new to your blog but have enjoyed reading your journey.
we are waiting for our daughter from chin
Hey Tiff! I love this post. Read every word at least twice. I, too, have intended on writing a true post but as time goes on, it changes and I'm starting to forget the raw feelings. It's wonderful that you were able to capture details. And we all love our little Boo. :)nn
the 'nn' at the end of my comment was from Jaden. When sitting on my lap she somehow always manages to get her 2 cents in!
I am so happy you have your girl! I have so loved the journey before during and after you bringin her home! Thanks for sharing your heart :)
hugs
Tami
Noah's mama
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com
Tiff,
This post is beautiful. I connect with it so much and really understand what you are saying. That moment when the realization rings and you feel the emotion and overwhelming rush of just pure love is unforgettable and so hard to capture with words. You really did a wonderful job.
Tiffanie,
Thank you for sharing your heart. You know what a blessing all those posts you read pre-adoption were and you MUST know that your posts are just as much blessing to those of us waiting now. I love reading your thoughtful comments. Please keep it up-- when you can :)
Be blessed,
Courtney
Hi Tiff,
What a beautiful post. And great that you took the time to write it. :-) I remember the "My daughter despises me" days too. Though it's easy to forget them when, 3 years later, it feels like you gave birth to her. :-)
It's important to remember those rough days to recognize how far they come. :-)
Lots of hugs,
Eryn
Oh my gosh, what a beautiful post. The heartbreak, pain, and beauty of life with Gracyn is so perfectly described I can actually feel it in my bones.
The word "tolerate" rang so true for me. Sometimes it feels like that is still the feeling. But then a toothy grin or wet kiss gives hope that things are moving forward.
Thanks for sharing, honey. Can't wait to see you all again.
Amazing post. Brought tears to my eyes. I so appreciate your honesty...makes me a little more prepared for things to come.
No more updates :( I'm so thankful and surprised we already got one.
I'm a member of clickinmoms and really like it! Although I really haven't had time to check it out. It's great because there are pro photographers that will look at your photos and give advice on them.
I rented Beauty and the Beast for the first time a couple weeks ago and there you have it :) Glad I didn't buy her the really cute Mulan dress!
Hugs,
Staci
btw...hope work is going good. I think you started back?
OH Happy Happy two months... it seems like just yesterday I was looking on here every night for a glimps of your journey.. of you and your meeting with this precious soul. And now.. here you are celebrating two months? Is it possible? Isn't God just wonderful Tif? Every moment that you cried, clawed for a grip in reality, and laughed was leading up to this post! Amazing! The strength you showed when you knew it not! How Your Heavenly Father's eyes could be seen in your every move. You are a blessing to us all and we are so happy to see God bless you so abundantly with both of your children! They are so very very special! Love you!
Sarah k
Taiwankiddo2.blogspot.com
Thank you for this. I have only longing to be in that place, and no experience of my own. But, you are so right in recognizing that those who come after need the good and the bad, the painful and the hopeful- the fullness of what that adjustment means. Bless you for your openness and CONGRATULATIONS on falling in love!
Tiff,
I am so happy that you are really feeling like a family. Good to hear Gracyn is growing and doing well. I think of you often.
Hope it's a great week!
I'm glad I wandered on to your blog! I really enjoyed reading this post. Attachment is a miracle...and it grows both ways (we attaching to our child as much as they must learn to attach to us). Sounds like you have a terrific foundation laid.
Post a Comment