1.05.2009

Celebrating Gracyn - No Red Eggs or Ginger

In observation of our Chinese culture, typically we celebrate and honor our children with a Red Egg & Ginger Party around the age of 1 to 3 months. The time after baby is born, but before the baby is announced to world, is to allow Mom to heal from birth, and to ensure baby is healthy enough to survive. Boiled eggs, dyed red, are handed out. The color red for good luck, the eggs for fertility. Pigs feet, yes, pigs feet are made and Mama is supposed to eat it for rejuvenation. With Peyton we had a Red Egg and Ginger Party, handed out the eggs, served pigs feet, but no, I didn't eat it - at about 3 months of age.

Before we brought Gracyn home our intention was to give her a belated Red Egg and Ginger Party. Four months after arriving home, similar to period after giving birth, Mommy recovered from the trip, and Gracyn had time to heal emotionally, so it was time to honor Gracyn. Since we brought her home after the age of 2, we opted to celebrate Gracyn, but no red eggs or ginger, rather a celebration of her being home forever! We were blessed to have so many relatives and close friends join us!

Here we are a family of 4!
 

We proudly displayed the photos we cherished of Gracyn during our wait.
 

We asked for thoughts and prayers for Gracyn to cherish in years to come.
 

DH and I ordered the supplies to make these favors.
 

Because Gracyn loves candy and chocolate the most, we filled them with Kisses. Afterall, the "kiss" in Taiwan was the highlight of my trip!
 
Posted by Picasa

Here we are with the Beauregard family. I met Ramona just after we received our referral, and before they received theirs. Here we all are with our babies home forever!
 

Darryl and Gracyn with Darryl's Mom
 

Peyton eating. What else is a growing three year old supposed to do for 2+ hours in a restaurant!?
 

Jaden, Ramona's daughter, let me carry her just long enough for a photo! I think it was the Dora cell phone she really wanted, but hey, I got the picture!
 
Posted by Picasa

A little love for the "big brother" - it was a long afternoon for him.
 

Lori with Samantha! We followed Lori's journey to bring Samantha home. She and her girls were so perfectly coordinated in purple.
 

Kimi resting on her Mama Megan's shoulder. This is the little girl I fell in love with as I watched Megan bring her home.
 

Didn't I tell ya? Perfectly purple. These are the best behaved girls I know. So glad we met this family along the way!
 
Posted by Picasa

Jaden and Gracyn. . .While I waited to bring Gracyn home Ramona let me get a "baby fix" by visiting Jaden when they arrived home. I think they were still jet-lagged with suitcases still packed and she opened her home to us. Thanks Ramona!
 

Before hitting the road for a long drive home, Kimi came over to burn off some energy! Are these 3 munchkins dancing to Hannah Montana? Absolutely.
 

Megan doing double duty. Megan is waiting on baby #2, so we thought we'd give her some practice!
 
Posted by Picasa


Gracyn, Mommy is so overcome with joy to call you my daughter. I know it's been hard on you to leave everything familiar behind. You are so strong, so brave. You are beautiful, and sweet, and stubborn too! I love that you're always so happy to wake up in the morning. I look forward to your soft pitter patter, and those big eyes and smile every morning. I love that you'll eat almost anything, and that you love mint chocolate and snackies just like Mommy. I can't get enough of your "girly-ness" - the way you sit still to get your hair combed, and how you don't mind changing outfits (sometimes 3 in a row) if Mommy doesn't think it fits or looks quite right! I'm still learning how to coordinate toddler girls clothes!! I know you're 2, but I've been dressing a boy for nearly 4 years, and let me tell you, they are much easier than girls. But girls, they are oh, so fun. My "baby girl," my "girlfriend" - you are home - Forever. With love and kisses, Mommy

15 comments:

RamblingMother said...

sweet memories, great party.

Ramona said...

Tiff - Gracyn's celebration was absolutely wonderful. What a way to announce her to the world. I got all teary reading this because I'm in the process of posting J's Gotcha Day video. You're one of the families I'm posting it for as a thank you for being there and you just happened to mention it on the same day! We had a great time and loved seeing everyone again. Gracyn and Peyton are dream children. Now I have to ask - what's with Mikey's picture? :-)

Sarah said...

What a great party! I loved hearing about all the little details and special touches. :)

The Family K. said...

It looks like it was a fantastic party full of tradition and significance. I can tell that you put a lot of work into it. The love you have for your daughter certainly shone through.

Sarah k said...

Stinker! You had me crying at the party favors with the kisses because of the kiss in Taiwan... THAT IS SOOOOO SWEET!!!!!!!
I love it just the way it was, even if there were no red eggs and ginger! She will look back on this day and say "my mom and dad are the best!!"

Sarah k
Taiwankiddo2.blogspot.com

Heather - The Wanna-be Super Mom said...

Congrats!!! What a lovely celebration. We are planning to have the reception/after party for Olivia's baptism be her red egg and ginger party. We will host it at a local Chinese restuarant...and since it will be mostly non-Chinese in attendance, we will probably skip the pigs feet :-) We do plan to cut a small piece of hair, and have her wear tiger shoes though!!!

Tisra said...

Awwwww.... so perfect! You put so much thought into this and, though she won't remember it, you will have celebrated in a manner that many will comment on for years and she WILL hear the stories and she WILL feel special, cherished, and honored!

Tisra
waiting

Staci said...

Looks like the party was fantastic! I'm so bummed we couldn't make it! What a special day for Gracyn to look back on :)

Our Family said...

Tiff,
The party for Gracyn was wonderful. It was especially great to see you guys and Ramona and Megan's families and I am so happy to be a part of your life as we raise our Taiwan girls! Btw we got to eat next to Peyton and he is quite the character!!! Oh, and thanks for noticing our color coordination. Sierra and Samantha do it every day but I only join in for very special occasions!
Love, Lori

JackieMacD said...

Awwww -- I am SO sad we missed it. What an amazing event. Gracyn is just beautiful -- perfect with her family. I can't wait to see you in two days!

Expecting Good Things said...

That's so cool that you all get together like that! I wish I was closer. Those jars for your party are great! Love the labels.
Holli

Ashton said...

The pictures are GREAT!

Precious Wonders and Little Monkeys said...

You exude joy, happiness and love...it just bubbles out in abundance. I love coming here because you always seem to have such excellent ideas about how to honor your loved ones with sweet symbolic kindness & tradition.

That party looked so fun... you can just feel all that love from this side of the pc! What lovely photos. =0)

Room for More said...

What a beautiful day and celebration with family and friends! You captured the day with wonderful pictures too!

David and Janalee said...

Looks like a wonderful celebration! Gracyn is one lucky little miss.
Janalee