1.30.2009

When my intuition and instincts simply aren't enough. . .

In addition to a Speech Therapist and an OT, we just starting seeing a family therapist to help us develop a plan to keep Gracyn moving in the right direction with her attachment and some of her "episodes". She has come a long way from the time I met her in Taiwan. She's starting to become more attached to Daddy now, which is a joy, and somewhat of a relief. She loves her mommy, which melts my heart, but there are still moments though, where my intuition, my motherly instincts, just aren't enough.

I found myself sharing with the therapist a piece of me that I had shared only with my husband. I went on to explain that as a mother of biological child, and now the mother to a child who came to me through adoption, I could honestly say that I felt with Gracyn, my intuition, my instincts, they're just not all there. Don't get me wrong, I know when my daughter is tired, hungry, overstimulated, wanting some love. But when she's in an "episode" and needs comfort, I can't seem to provide it. With Peyton, the sound of my voice, the scent of my hair - those things in and of themselves were often enough to bring comfort. Gracyn and I have only been with each other for a little over four months, and we're both still getting to know one another. We're in love, yes. We're attached, yes. I still haven't figured out everything that makes her tick, or sets her off, or what I can do to "instantly" soothe her. That's the honest truth. I think the fact that she came home at an older age has a lot to do with it. She's been taught, in part, what is supposed to comfort her. Me, I just don't know what that is.

When she gets hurt, and I run to her to pick her up, that makes her calm instantly. It's when she's in the torn state of, "I'm not happy, I want something, I think it's you, but when you're in my face it's not you that I want, but if you leave, I do want you, and I'll come to you for comfort, so maybe it is you I want and need?" Okay, so that was a mouthful. But this is the state that Gracyn still falls into on a pretty regular basis, and we hope that with the help of a therapist, she can guide is us in determining what's "terrible 2's" or personality, versus what might run much deeper. I explained to our therapist that the only way she calms down, is if I quietly walk away, and then she pops up a minute later, and runs to me with a smile. I had no idea, until talking to our therapist that she may be suppressing her emotions because she thinks she can't be "sad", so she smiles and then gets the love she craves. It broke my heart. I felt I had done more damage than good. It's the only thing that calms her down, but if she's suppressing emotions, forget it. More to come after the next evaluation.

Some may judge me for this post. I share it to hopefully be helpful to others. It's not to say that parents who only have children through adoption lack instinct - that's absurd. I know many adoptive mothers who are extremely in tune with their maternal instincts. It's not to say that the instincts with a biological child are better, or stronger than that of those with an adopted child. I'm simply trying to say that I recognize where my instincts with my daughter, who happens to be adopted, and came to me at an older age, aren't quite up to par. Perhaps I am the only one who is lacking in this department, but quite honestly, I'd have to say that my motherly instincts are naturally strong. I never expected my instincts to kick in with Gracyn from the moment I met her. After all, the time she's been home with me is still less than half the time Peyton was with me (in womb). The therapist assured me this was normal, and that it would take time. So if anyone else is in my boat, know it's okay, or at least by our therapist it is!

And let me say now, that our life is far from gloomy. Gracyn is full joy, and she's silly, and she gives kisses. She's actually easier than Peyton was at this age. She loves to help, and loves to cuddle. This is really the only area that we don't think we can overcome without intervention and I'd much rather address this now, as small or as big of an issue as it may be, than put it off and have her attachment with us stifled. I think the combination of delayed verbal speech, some sensory issues, and her age in joining our family, has put Gracyn in a place of not knowing if she wants more, or if she bear "that" much. We're looking forward to how she develops with the help of all of these wonderful therapists!

Moving on to stacking more blocks, threading more beads, rolling around on a yoga ball, playing peek-a-boo, watching signing videos, continuing to use sign language (now Peyton wants to know the signs for everything!), working towards more consistency and talking through our day to avoid surprise and disruption, and learning how to apply firm pressure to create more comfort and assurance of self in space. . .whew! And that's not the end of it. . .The funniest part of meeting with early intervention was when I was offered the opportunity to be connected with other parents in similar situations. I declined that one confidently, knowing I have all of you - so, I welcome any and all suggestions on speech, sensory, and attachment whether you're licensed to practice or not!

14 comments:

Ramona said...

This new post isn't even appearing on my blog list but for some reason I came here. Between you and Jackie today, I'm using every ounce of self control to not cry! I love that you can be so candid and with such eloquent words. I think it's really important to share this information with other adoptive parents as well as prospective APs because even though there are many books and articles, it's very difficult to find real life accounts from exprienced families regarding the ins and outs of toddler adoption. Believe me, I looked high and low.

As you know, we've had similar issues with Jaden. We finally hit on something with her - her inability to effectively communicate with us. Her episodes have definitely become less violent and less frequent since she started to sign. And now, on her own, she's saying the word as she signs. It wasn't until we'd tried a laundry list of suggestions from friends, families and professionals that we found something that worked for Jaden.

Even now when Jaden DOES have a little tizzy over something I still do the 'walk away', but unlike sweet little Gracyn, Jaden follows me and throws herself to the floor so she can continue where she left off. Who would have thought Gracyn feels she can't be sad? That would have never crossed my mind.

I think what most families (definitely us!) are not prepared for is that a toddler comes to a family with formed likes/dislikes, their own sense of humor and lots of habits and characteristics learned from foster/orphanage care. They're not the moldable little blobs our sons came to us as. What a difference a couple of years can make, even a couple of months.

As you've done, involving early intervention is the most proactive course of action you can take and it's a true testament of love. It's time intensive, is not without cost and usually requires moderate change to the way we parent.

Sorry this is so long - there's so much to say. And knowing all of you, I'd could go on forever about what an incredible family unit you are, but I'll leave page space for others. You've got some pretty neat kids there, Tiff.

Ramona said...

OMGosh. It looks even longer when published. Sorry!

Jill said...

Thank you for such an insightful post.
We have been dealing with these issues with Lucy, who was adopted at 16 months from China. Unfortunately I don't think our therapist is that good....time to find another for us I think.
Good luck! Your family is goegeous!

Steve n Coco said...

I can understand that these posts may not be easy for you to write out, but please keep doing it. It is so good for ALL of us in different stages of the adoption process. I may even have to bookmark this one. I hope we can be as encouraging to you as you are to us!! I'll be praying for this issue-- that Gracyn learns to trust that she can be sad, that you learn how to respond to her effectively and that your therapist is able to help you find the tools you need.
Be blessed and encouraged, my friend. You're doing a great job!

JackieMacD said...

Tiff,
You're incredible to share such raw and emotional moments. While you''re instincts may not be there (according to your post), the fact that you put your child's happiness and well being above all else proves otherwise.

I am proud to call you a friend.

xo

Room for More said...

Tiffanie, Once again, your honesty and transparency encourages us all. I will be saving this post too as it includes many reminders of things to look for when our child comes home. Since I we aren't there yet, I don't have suggestions, but know that I will be praying for answers, godly wisdom and confidence only He can provide.
Shannon

Precious Wonders and Little Monkeys said...

Big Kudos and Hugs! And a big Bravo. Writing it down will help process it... and when you look back and see how far you all have come together as a family... it'll bring such amazing joy. Kole is working with early intervention... we're right there with the sensory & OT, the speech, and with the others full of drama and spit fire fiesty-ness, my husband and I joke we are waiting for this "boom" with Milana and watch her come here and be the most mild! he he

In all seriousness, I am so to have you adn so thankful for your words... getting prepared in a way that I could never imagine getting prepared for during the arrival of a child. Knowing I have you to go to when it doesn't feel normal... when my instincts just don't compute what my daughter is trying to tell me. When her brain si hardwired for emotions I can't understand and her family skills resemble more survival skills... knowing it will all be okay with training and help... that I'll survive and we'll all survive.... you are such a blessing.

Nika is one who was born with the idea that she should be perfect... she doesn't "speak up" as much as she should so I have to constantly make an effort to remind her and notice her actions of wanting something but not saying so... the adoption books I've read and the advise & stories from all of you have really made me aware of little tidbits in each of my children's lives that needs some tinkering. I'm so fortunate to have the enrichment of adoption bless our family. Wish us well... hopefully we'll have Milana home soon and let another whirlwind start spinning in this family... I love my little dust storms. =0)

p.s. I understand you are a happy family... but you are also extremely smart and aware... Great Job Mama.

Ramona said...

Uh, duh me. Just reread my rambling post and see I forgot to add that I've never seen a child communicate better with signing and gesturing than Gracyn. She's a pro. My point was that there's not any one solution and that the never ending search for what works is the only way. Would love to hear how family therapy goes - it's something we haven't tried yet. Add this to my 2 previous messages and I think I've made a record!

Tisra said...

THANK YOU! I'll tell you, I know that this will get filed in my memory for when we bring our daughter home. She'll be around two, and I know we'll have to work at a lot when she comes home. The honesty of those who have been down this road is crucial to us being better prepared. I am CERTAIN that you are doing the right thing for Gracyn and that she is making steps toward the confident, secure child that she can be. What a good mommy and daddy you guys are to recognize this now and keep her moving into her best!

lorabelle said...

Tiff,
Your instincts and intuition led you to take further action in order to reach your daughter at what ever cost. I think that perhaps your instincts and intuition were "right on" and you are a wonderful Mommy for following them. You give "Mommy" a good name!
Sorry if this sounds corny, I'm crying so it's the best I can do right now...

Our Family said...

Tiff,

Your post is very touching. Although we haven't had many serious issues with Samantha we have had a few. I must admit my "instincts" and Samantha's "reactions" were two of the issues I really worried about (despite her young age she was clearly trying to "be good" to keep us happy in her early months). As for my insticts, I was so in tune to Sierra, and she to me, that our first months with Samantha felt a bit "off", even though she did pretty well with attaching and bonding.

Anyway.. I just wanted to let you know that I am in awe of your ability to express your feelings about Gracyn so beautifully!

I also want to say that I think you are amazing to put so much effort into truly understanding your daughter! You really are a loving and thoughtful mother and I wish we could see each other more often!

Take care,

Lori

Expecting Good Things said...

Tiff,
Being so new at this adoption thing, I really don't have advice but I think its great that you post your feelings like that. And don't feel bad about how you feel. I think we've all had your same feelings at one time or another. Sometimes I wonder if Breelyn will some day just snap and start having issues. Most times she seems so laid back. And then there are those other times when God knows I don't know what she wants. One day at a time...
Holli

The Family K. said...

I can't believe I didn't see this post pop up until now. No flames at all from me, friend. There's a false notion that once our kids are home, all our maternal know-how and intution will suddenly kick in and fill in all the gaps. I'm sure your eloquent post has made it easier for many other moms (and dads) out there to give voice to that nagging feeling that something is slightly off kilter. I think you're doing a great thing by having Gracyn meet with all the therapists and finding the answers for her that she needs. Thanks for sharing your heart.

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

Thanks SO Much for sharing this Tiff! I definitly can relate. On thing I have been thinking latley is that Noah has only been home 4 and a half months. When Celeste was 4 and half months old I was still feeling things out and learning mother's instinct but she was not an active, moving, climbing stubborn toddler ,she was a tiny preemie! Made things different. I too welcome any advise that you learn or anyone else does. I want to be the best mommy I can be and I so admire you as I see you doing that as well :)

Love ya friend,
Tami
Noah's mama
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com