7.10.2009

YUCK. . .then YUM. . .What we do for our kids.

Since I failed my 1-hr glucose test, I was forced to fast since yesterday evening and had to take a 3-hr glucose test today to see if I have gestational diabetes. Mind you I had my blood drawn 4 times, which doesn't bother me, but I have crappy veins, so as you can imagine, being stuck a few times for each draw was bad enough. My right hand, my right arm, my left arm. . .ugggh. But the drink loaded with sugar, that was the YUCK part of my day, which landed me on a gurney on my back with an icepack behind my head. Oh, and I was in tears. I couldn't figure out what I was feeling. Weird, shaky, nauseous, faint, dizzy. All at the same time. Luckily I kept it down and finished the test, and that was accompanied by thoughts of "this is it" - no more babies. Dh should be happy to hear that. And of course a trip through the In N Out Drive thru.

That was the YUM part of my day, but I must say I felt guilty and pitiful. My pregnant self, all by my lonesome, big belly before me, thoughts of french fries in my mouth, I sat there digging out coins from my wallet, wondering if my belly would show through the car window. Here I was on a weekday ordering a cheeseburger, fries, and a drink chocolate milkshake. Who are we kidding here? After that torture, I deserved the treat. I don't think I can even count on one hand the number of times I've gone through a Drive-Thru for FAST FOOD by myself, in my life. I kept wondering what the teenager behind the cash register would think. "That pregnant lady sure doesn't need another milkshake!" or "I wonder how many times she's ordered this in the past week?" or "Look at this poor lady, hungry again!" or "I wonder when she's going to pop?!" Let's just say it was an experience, and I survied it, just like I did the glucose test. And it was YUMMY. And yes, I polished off every last morsel and drop of my milkshake - you know where the sucking on your straw makes that funny noise?!

This is the first and the last time this will happen in my pregnancy. While the weight gain with this baby is better than with my first pregnancy, I'm still over. But, I'm so proud of myself for keeping it somewhat in check. Now how do I burn off all those calories I just consumed????

4 comments:

lorabelle said...

Oh you've got me laughing here Tiff! Aside from the pokes that is...
I was thinking of you sitting there in the drive-thru and remembered that being preg was the only time in my life when I would crave a MCDonalds cheeseburger. Nothing else could touch it, but Taco bell would come close!
I assure you that you are not the only preg mommy in the drive-thru and who cares what that teenager thinks anyway?! Right?! What do they know??
Please don't beat yourself up about those extra calories. You're going to be chasing after 3 children in just a couple of months and I can promise you that you will shake those pounds in no time flat!

(I gained almost 8 pounds between my visit with Allie in May and picking her up in July. Granted it was due to depression, and not being preg, but I'm thinner now than I have been in 17 years and I guarantee it's because I'm constantly on the go and chasing around 3 out of the 4 kiddos which are all under 8years old.
It won't take you long at all!
So eat up now while you still have the free hand and a moment or two of free time! LOL.
You'll be fine Mama...

The Family K. said...

So sorry you had to drink that nasty stuff by the bucketload.

Hello? You're pregnant! You need not make any apologies for fast food cravings. In fact, I think you should drive back through and ask them to supersize your order. Baby wants the #3 with extra fries and double mayo, stat.

Staci said...

You are too funny! Lora is right, you're going to be burning lots of calories chasing after 3 kiddos! Oh, how I love their chocolate milkshakes.

Sorry you had to get poked and drank nasty stuff. No fun!

Ramona said...

After seeing the belly shots earlier, it doesn't look to me like you need to worry about weight at all! You are all baby and way out front!

And even though I'm not a fast food fan either, there are those times, pregnant or not, that only Carl or Ronald can satisfy! :-)