9.05.2009

One Year Ago. . .Part 2

 


In the room, she watched my every move. She stayed close as I would dry my hair, or apply my makeup. Outside of the room, it was like showing me any kind of love or affection was betraying her family. So, outside of the room, I was the enemy. She'd point for me to go away. She'd pull my dad to take her anywhere that wasn't near me. It wasn't until Peyton kissed me via SKYPE that she decided she'd "kiss" too. And all of sudden she realized in some surreal way that she might actually like me and have to share me with someone else.

I blogged, I cried, I skyped, I prayed. My daughter was right there in front me yet I don't recall being able to celebrate with joy. I loved seeing her wear the clothes I had shopped ever so carefully for her, and packed in ziplock bags so they'd smell like home. I anticipated taking photo after photo, to realize when I came home, I had hardly taken any after picking her up. She hated the flash, she hated me. Perhaps it wasn't worth capturing on film?

There was the missing document at AIT, which nearly pushed me over the edge. But God knows best and that extra day in Taiwan was what we needed. The flight was actually pretty uneventful. Easy for me. I sat in bulkhead by myself, and watched movies. Only think I did was get the bottles ready. Dad sat behind me with two seats, although the two of them shared one. He couldn't move, barely ate, not sure really how he did it, but he did. As we were about to land I remember seeing a plane next to us and I was able to make out the words on it. . .way too close. Up we went at a fast speed to only delay our landing by another twenty or thirty minutes. If it weren't for that, I think we might have made it home with minimal tears. When we touched ground, I had never been more relieved in my life. This burden had been lifted. Sure there was the anticipated car ride home in a five-point harness, but I'd be in MY minivan, with MY husband, and MY son.

Seeing Darryl and Peyton at the airport was incredible. My heart and eyes swelled at the sight of familiar faces and I could feel the love. The only two things on the face of the earth that I needed more than anything, my husband and my first born. My life line, my comfort, my home. Peyton was so excited to meet his sister, and surprisingly I think she recognized them from Skyping with them. We made it to the car, Dad rode with Gracyn in the back, I couldn't get enough of my husband and my son, and we stopped for a bite to eat, at none other than McDonald's. I had figured out in Taiwan that she was a fan of french fries with ketchup and SODA. . .

 



7 comments:

Staci said...

I'm totally teary right now. I can't believe how far you have come my friend. And of course Miss Gracyn, what a year it has been for her. She has grown up so much! And now she is about to become a big sister :)

Beautiful post for your little one.

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

ok, so the tears are contagious! very teary here too! It is so amazing how love changes things. Gracyn did not know that day what a gift she received, but boy now I best she does! and the day will come as an adult I bet when she looks back she will be so amazed at how strong her Mommy was during that time! :)

love ya
Tami

Lisa said...

Just beautiful....I love that you share this with us all and I thank you; its a glimpse into your forever family and how far you have all come.

Now another little one is on the way and I can simply imagine with ease, what a tremendous big sister that tiny frightened little girl will be to her....sisters always.
Hugs!

Lisa said...

Oh, I meant to say, "tiny & frightened girl", she ONCE was....she's so much more now....beautiful(of course) but also strong, joyful, secure and so joyful! :)

KT said...

It is so funny that I remember Gracyn taking to your Dad from the first time around. Loved reading your story then...and again now!

lorabelle said...

She is just one incredible little girl and has come so far!
I remember thinking how wonderful it was that your Dad traveled with you and was able help with the transition. Things happen for a reason...
What a blessing that she now throws those bright eyes and sparkly smiles at her Mama! We all new it wouldn't take her long.

RamblingMother said...

I so could have written this post with the bulkhead, movies and my daughter bonding to my dad too. Poor dad couldn't go to the loo because my daughter was so distraught. He had to do everything. I had one extra person with us, my mom on whom my dad depended. Happy anniversary. on and Glenys is a really good name, it means holy.