9.01.2009

One Year Ago. . .Part 1

One year ago I touched my baby girl for the very first time. That day I wrote a post, affectionately entitled, "Gotcha Day," and you can click HERE to read all about that very emotional day.

I've enjoyed reading the posts of friends, reflecting on their respective Forever Family Days, Gotcha Days, or whatever you want to refer to it as, while all celebrate and remember what it was like just one year ago. I was candid in my post a year ago, and I'm going to continue with that theme.

One year ago, I met Gracyn for the very first time. I recall vividly, walking by the room she was waiting with her foster family in. We went into the infamous blue couch room and waited. And waited. . .and waited what seemed like an eternity. I remember her Foster Brother at the screen door carrying her in, face forward. She had a white lace dress on, with bows in her hair. He put her down, and I just waited patiently. I didn't want to scare her. I wonder now what the family was thinking. Was I supposed to run up and give her a great big hug with tears streaming down my face? That's certainly how I always envisioned my "Gothca Day" because you know, I've watched video after video after video while waiting, and I did have a vision of what this day would be like. You know how you dream, and you wait, and you wait for the day to come?

In reality, it was nothing like I had imagined. I stared at my daughter, I repeat my daughter, whom I did not know. Who's face I may not have recognized on the street, as her pictures were not all that clear, and were from a much younger age. My daughter who wanted nothing to do with me, who smelled nothing like me, who certainly didn't love me. Did I cry that day? Sure. And I cried every day after that the whole time in Taiwan. Tears of Joy? Was I happy? Absolutely. But also tears of sadness for Gracyn. I loved finally having my daughter with me, but let's face it, I was a complete and total stranger to her. Was I worried? You bet. I knew we had a long road ahead of us. . .and to be realistic, I knew just getting through the few days in Taiwan were going to be a struggle.

When I finally got to hold my daughter in my arms by telling her I'd take her outside to find her "Mama" she felt so tiny in my arms. She didn't feel like my daughter at that moment. We looked in on babies sleeping down the hall very briefly. She held my hand and walked with me. My dad took photos, and I watched every move her foster family made for fear they'd mysteriously disappear.

So, was our "Gotcha Day" one I can describe as full of joy? Should it be a day of celebration? A day full of happiness? For our family, unfortunately I think not. It was a day of sorrow for Gracyn. I begged her foster family to come back to say "goodbye" - I thank God that they did. Did she know she was saying her last "goodbye"? That the clothes her foster mom just changed her into would be the last time she cared for her? Certainly not. Gracyn began grieving the minute we stepped foot into the cab. This was our "Gotcha Day".

Gracyn cried the entire cab ride to the station. She cried the whole ride back to Taipei. We were kicked out of the cabin for disturbing other passengers. She fell asleep for a few minutes, and then abruptly awoke and cried all the way to the hotel. She cried in the elevator, and then cried every time we went down or up the elevator. The only time she didn't cry was in the middle of the night when I'd give her a bottle and change her diaper. Here we were, Mother and daughter, complete strangers, sleeping on the floor of a hotel room together. . .

10 comments:

Ramona said...

One year. WOW. Thank you for putting the other type of 'Gotcha Day' into such eloquent words. We have the same view on our GD. It was more a day of mourning because of the incredible grief of the day. The deep sobs, swollen eyes, eyes filled with terror, screaming, hair pulling, head banging. It's a very difficult day for us to recall because of the grief. Like you, our celebration is about where we are now - with a happy daughter who knows her family, her home and her place in the world. My oh my have our girls come a long way.

Happy 1 year home Gracyn!!

Lisa said...

This brought tears to my eyes....tears for that sweet terrified tiny girl....tears for the loving Foster Family...and tears for you my bloggy friend: tears for the courage, grace & commitment you displayed both then & now.

This heartfelt & beautiful post(for it surely is) also brings tears of joy, knowing how far you have all come together....family forever & ever after.
Hugs, Lisa
Happy one year with your beautiful girl!

The Family K. said...

Thanks for sharing the honest details of your day with us. It's a good reminder that, behind the joy and celebration of adoption, there is often a lot of deeply felt loss. At the same time, I'm happy to know that a lot of healing has taken place over the last year. Congratulations on one year together!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing and very real post. I appreciate you sharing your true feelings, good and bad, from your gotcha day. It gives others (like me) a real expectation of what to look forward to (again good and bad) on that day.
Erin in Charlotte, NC

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

BOY do I remember this day for you! I was soo upset our time in Taiwan would not cross so we could actually meet face to face! I remember checking the computer constantly to see if there was word! :) It is this day and the wait to get to this day that binds our hearts as friends! :) You were and are such a support to me and an amazing mother to watch through the cyber world!

Big hugs to all yall!
Tami
PRAYING JEREMIAH HOME QUICKLY

Terry said...

Happy Forever Family! Gotcha Day means many things to each family, but not many are willing to talk about the struggles that come with adoption. Thanks for being honest and sharing your feelings. We had similar struggles with our daughter while in China. I felt like I was grieving with her, I felt sad. She was going through so many changes and I was hoping that she would accept me and let me help her.
I'm happy to say, she did accept me and today we have this great friendship! She's been part of our family for almost 12 wonderful years! We celebrate Gotcha Day for all the happiness it has brought us over the years.
Happy one year anniversary of growing together, as a family! :-)

Sarah said...

Have I told you lately how much I admire you? You've gone through so much in one year. You've gone through it educated, armed with people to help you (God bless Gong Gong... and therapists too), and with a lot of prayer, I'm sure. You're honest about what happened, and share your feelings so eloquently.

Terry is right on. Let's say cheers to one year of growing together as a family!

Shirley H. said...

Wow! That means I have been reading your blog for a year too! Happy Gotcha day!

lorabelle said...

Here's to your Forever Family Day and your first full year together! Watching the changes via your blog and being able to glimpse at the growth has been such a privilege Tiff. Thanks for sharing so much with all of us.
You really did do an excellent job describing your Gotcha Day with honesty and love... Yes, I have to agree that you are one remarkable women and mommy!

Annie said...

Thank you so much for this heartfelt view of your Gotcha Day. My friend who picked up her daughter in Thailand back in January has an almost identical story of the first day! This is so informative for us so we can be prepared to thank God for our blessing and grieve with our child at the same time when our day comes. :)