at ten months. . .
and at a year old. . .
This will be Gracyn's second Christmas with us. While we waited for her to come home, I so desperately wanted more photos of her. I held on to the 9 or so photos of her from about the age of 1, for almost a year. In many ways, I'm glad I didn't get my wish. To have had over a year to get to know my daughter, and then to go back and look at her baby pictures now, is incredible.
I look at her baby pictures today, and think to myself, "Uh oh, she was sick in this photo or was coming down with something," because I see the familiar look in her eyes. I wonder what was bothering her that day, because I can see her anxiety. I
I continue to periodically go back and look at her photos because each time I see something different, something new, something that I recognize because I know her that much better. I thank God for choosing me to be her mother, and I thank her Foster Family for sending these photos of Gracyn. I wanted them for her. I wanted them so she would have a baby book to look at. I wanted them so she wouldn't feel left out when she gets older and sees how many photos we have of Peyton and Addi as babies. What I didn't realize was that I wanted them back then because I wanted more of her and I didn't want to miss out on her firsts. In reality, I needed to have them now to truly enjoy reflecting back on her first years of life rather than crying over lost time.
-31.jpg)
-311.jpg)
-312.jpg)



7 comments:
What a profound post. It makes you think of how much we take for granted as bio. parents (and yes, I'm speaking of myself mostly). Even the simplest thing as as photo of a child from his/her earliest days can be fraught with so much meaning. I'm so happy for you that you have these pictures to help piece together the puzzle of her missing years.
And those eyes! As Tyra Banks would say, that girl knows how to "smize!" (that is, smile with her eyes). Okay, now I'm ashamed to admit that I watch that show.
Tiff - I remember that dog-eared photo you carried in your wallet of Gracyn. The first time you showed it to me you said it was the only photo you had and you'd received your referral MONTHS prior. I'm so glad you got these pics. They're so important and telling. You can seen Graycn was/is loved by her foster family and it gives her that much needed history you talked about.
Like her sister, she was a beautiful little baby.
I think so many of us, who have been blessed with our children through adoption, find our way along the this path, one way or another.
This truly resonates with me, having recently been reflecting on Lauren's lifestory and how I found my way through the grieving I needed to do for our lost time and at the same time found my voice as her Mama.....found it for us both.
I rejoiced with you as you "remembered" all of those firsts with Gracyn and yes, the gift of these photos and the key glimpses they provide, will be treasured gifts for you all...for all time.
A beautiful post......and a beautiful girl. In all of the photos I was pulled in first by those amazing eyes.
Hugs to you sweet Mama ~ thank you for sharing a bit about your girlfriend from way back when!
How fabulous to have these pictures for you and for Gracyn. What a precious gift. And what a beautiful girl she is. Best wishes to all your family.
Wow- Well said. She is just so beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us.
I found something too, and it SO made me smile! I remember you posting either while still in Taiwan or just getting back home that Gracyn loved coke/Pepsi. At the time I thought that was funny that you would give her soda, but agreed completely that sometimes ya just do what it takes! Now, I just noticed that at 10 months she is sitting in a walker with a pop can on the tray of her walker. TOO FUNNY!
I Love Love Love watching you two grow into each other and I will always believe that you were meant to be together.
Watching the higher power at work is so awesome! Thank you for sharing as much as you do with all of us.
Now, I need to go find a tissue...
Hugs out to you!
Agreeing with Judy on the smize! :)
hugs
Tami
PRAYING JEREMIAH HOME QUICKLY
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com
Post a Comment