3.17.2009

Another year older, and a heck of lot wiser!

My dear husband is celebrating his birthday today! Well, he did on the 11th, but I was busy packing for Disneyland and forgot to publish the post. . . Last night as I watched him fold up one Pack-N-Play like a pro, and then open up our larger one in a split second, I had to comment and tell him how good he was at whole assembling and disassembling of baby gear. I think his response was, "I've grown. . ." Yes, my DH has grown into his role as a Dad quite a bit, if I do say so myself.

Let's put it this way. . .when I was in labor with Peyton, we were at the hospital forever. I hadn't eaten since breakfast, which merely consisted of toast. The whole day we waited, and waited. . .night came, morning came. . .I had only consumed jello in 24 hours. Darryl on the other hand, decided it was okay to eat a Sausage McMuffin in my hospital room, just a whiff away, a mere hour or so before I started to push. For the record, I love Sausage McMuffins, and I was starving. After Peyton was born, he left me at the hospital with a newborn by my side to go home and clean up. He actually went to get a hair cut and to eat some real food. Apparently sleeping in my hospital bed, and eating my hospital food wasn't enough. When he returned, I was expecting flowers, balloons, maybe a stuffed animal of sorts for his brand new son, but nope. . .not a stinkin' thing. Nothing. Nada. . .I told him I'd never let him live this one down!

Okay, so, it's his birthday, and I'm not telling this story to throw him under the bus, but rather to say, he has grown. He's grown a ton! From the once "dazed and confused" daddy who forgot to prop a pillow next to Peyton which lead to him rolling off the bed and under a side table (I actually could NOT find him for what seemed like minutes) or the guy who would fall asleep while sitting up carrying on a conversation, or wake up startled, thinking he needed to do something for the baby, boy has he grown. He can now pack a diaper bag on his own, bathe, diaper and change a kid, unfold and collapse almost any model of stroller on the market, make bottles in 30 seconds flat, install car seats (both rear and forward facing), and well, do the whole Pack-N-Play thing. Even the Eddie Bauer version!

Happy Birthday hon! You have not only grown a year older, but you have grown so, so much wiser. May the year ahead be full of blessings. You are a wonderful Dad, and loving and doting husband. In the almost 9 years that we've been together, we've had our share of ups and downs. I am blessed to share my life with you.

From Peyton: Happy Birthday Dad, once known as Daddy-Darryl! Thanks for riding with me on my motorcycle (aka ATV), and for letting me watch movies. Thanks for making me a second dinner every night while you make my lunch. You are my best buddy!

From Gracyn: Happy Birthday Ma-Ma, I mean Da-Da. Thanks for playing with me and for letting me climb all over you! I know I'm still mean to you sometimes, but I do love you. Especially for cuddling with me after bath time.

8 comments:

Staci said...

Happy Birthday Daryl!! I love your Disney pictures. It must have felt so surreal to finally be there! And with Gracyn's adorable Taiwan buddies. Are there any bump pics yet :) Can't wait to see those!
Hugs!

lorabelle said...

Happy Birthday Daddy Daryl!
LOL, that is TOO cute Tiff...

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

awww happy birthday to that growin daddy! :)

blessings,
Tami
NOah's mama
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

JackieMacD said...

LOL - love it! Happy we were able to spend his birthday week with him.

Happy Bday again, Love the Macs

The Family K. said...

Happy birthday, Darryl! It's amazing how parenthood can change you from cool guy to sherpa of all things baby. If it makes you feel any better, you have a top-notch family to show for all your labors.

Expecting Good Things said...

That was a great post about your hubby! Although eating an egg McMuffin while your wife is in labor is on the top 10 NO, NO! list for hubbys. That was so sweet though about how he's changed. He seems like a really great guy!
Holli

Steve n Coco said...

Your sausage mcmuffin story made me laugh out loud-- totally something my dh would do! Happy birthday, Daryl! Keep up the good work :)

Pam Caro said...

Hi Tiff

What a beautfiul story about your amazing husband and father of your kids!! It just takes them yet a little longer and I think as women we don't always understand!! Tell him to hang in there........Miah just came around calling for her daddy and actually crying for him just this past few weeks!!