3.29.2009

It must run deeper than the terrible 2's. . .

Peyton has grown up with N and M, a set of twin cousins that were born just a couple of days apart from him. Unfortunately they don't live closer, but fortunately, they do live in close proximity to Disneyland, so it's still a WIN. The Twinnies' Mom, D, is a big Kid at HEART! I don't know if I'd ever have enough guts to do this on my own, let alone with the kids in tow! (See below.)

Since we left the Happiest Place on Earth, it's been all about a "NOT so Happy" Gracyn. . .So, here are some seriously HAPPY pics the last day of our trip to the Happiest Place on Earth. And then we returned home. . .to a very regressed,not so happy, Gracyn. What went wrong? We knew being in a hotel room, away from home and the pattern of life might shake her schedule up a bit, but after being home for 2 weeks now, there's still NO improvement or signs of returning back to normalcy. When will the normalcy return? We hit 6 months and things were great. One step forward and several steps back.

Peyt and Grace with Auntie D and M. N raced them down on his tricycle!
 

 

 

The 3 Musketeers!
 

Just the boys!
 

Gracyn has been clingier than ever. She throws a screaming, crying fit, every time she doesn't get her way. We've been working on Daddy changing her diaper, which was going fairly well. Until Saturday night. Daddy changed her, and I stayed close by, reassuring her that she was "okay" - The family therapist was very much in favor of this. Me jumping in when she cries send the message that Daddy can't do it, so I stay near, and comfort with words. So you're thinking, okay, a 2 year old having a fit, what's the big deal, right? Well, she went into a tailspin and lost it. Literally lost it. For third party input here, my dad said it was like Taiwan all over again.

Gracyn becomes hysterical. Peyton jumps in and hits Daddy with a fist telling him to stop - he thinks Daddy is hurting her - but he's not. I jump in, and immediately tell Peyton not to hit Daddy. He's holding her and trying to comfort her out of her breakdown. Peyton doesn't get it, and starts to cry, telling me he doesn't like to hear Gracyn cry. I'm touched, concerned, and overwhelmed all at once. I finally jump in after having both kids crying, for what seemed like forever, and took over Gracyn. Told DH to go ahead and take Peyton to Grandma and Grandpa's - he had a planned overnight stay to spend some time with them.

Gracyn is back to the state of conflict - she's calling for me, I'm right there trying to hold her but she pushes me away. And then she gets up and wants me to hold her again, and that works for a second and then back on the ground crying. She looks at me with those blank eyes as if she has no idea who I am, although she's calling for Mama. I think she was wanting me to comfort her, but was mad that I let Daddy change her. Or, she wasn't calling for me, when she was yelling for Mama, but was expecting someone else's comforting arms. She cried, and screamed, and cried and screamed some more, she kicked and pushed, stared into space, and went into her "catatonic state." She finally calmed down, stopped crying, and then I held her as she fell asleep. But when she calms down, it's like out of no where with no trigger. She just snaps out it.

Poor baby. It's so hard. If I were to give into her every whim, she wouldn't throw her fits, and I wouldn't run the risk of her tail spinning into a full blown "episode" as I have referred to them before. But she's 2, and very much in her "Independent Terrible 2's" phase, and she needs boundaries and limitations too, right? So, sometimes when she doesn't get her way, it's a normal "fit", well, normal for her - a little more intense than what I'd consider a Terrible 2's tantrum, and she returns to herself shortly thereafter. But since we've returned from the Happiest Place Earth, her tantrums have turned into so much more. She's been not so happy.

But don't get me wrong, there are good and normal of the day where you'd think I were making this all up - she appears happy and calm and comfortable in her environment. Are we the only ones to feel like we had finally "arrived" - bonded and adjusted after 6 months home, to suddenly feel as if we regressed to month one? I'm beside myself. Completely beside myself. My patience is running thin, and I have no idea how to help my daughter. Is it a phase? Is she just now getting comfortable and showing her true colors? Is it a chemical imbalance? Will it pass? Where did we go wrong? I really do think this is more than just the terrible two's. Remember my post about It runs deeper than the terrible 2's? (Click to refer back to the original post.)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, girl! I'm just catching up on your news that a third little pea is going to be joining the bunch. Wow, that is news!!!! I'm so happy for you. But, I'm so sorry to hear that the trip was so disruptive for Gracyn. It is so hard and you are right that it is much deeper than terrible twos. All of this change plus being a two year old is just tough, tough, tough. Hang in there!
Blessings,
Teresa

Ramona said...

Oh, Tiff. I SO know where you're coming from. Like G, Jaden is the perfect daughter in most all respects. She's funny, extremely intelligent, loves to cuddle and gorgeous on top of all that. But sometimes something !snaps! She gets a wild look in her eye and the sound that comes out of her is like a cat being tortured. The episodes are getting less frequent but more violent. I wish we could climb inside their little heads to figure out if it's simply a 'not getting my way' temper tantrum or if it's something more deep. I still can't tell...

Pam Caro said...

Hi Tiff

Oh I do so understand exactly what you are going thru!! Sydney is your lil Peyton - she does the same exact things when Miah is having her 'fits' with her daddy! We go thru some very similiar episodes!! There are times where I say wow this baby couldn't be happier and then next thing you know it's like life is unbearable!! I don't really know what to do either!! It is definitely heartbreaking and takes everything I have not to intervene when she acts like that with her daddy!! I am not so sure where to draw the line and to sit and watch and when to step in and just settle things down. My biggest thing is she 'rarely' acts out with me or gives me the blank stare look. I will keep you guys in my prayers and hope soon these kiddos really get comfortable with their homes and adjust as we all hope they will do. When I think of what they have been thru it just devestates me and breaks my heart!! Even knowing we are doing our best to give them the love, security, and everything they need in our homes! Stay Strong sister!!

Much love your way!
Pam

Sarah said...

I don't have any experience with a two year old... but we have a lot of two steps forward, one step back, going on at our house. All of the second guessing yourself can drive a mama crazy. Saying prayers for you and your strong willed Gracyn tonight.

Expecting Good Things said...

Tiff,
I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you. I know for a fact that Bailey would have been just like that if she was uprooted at age 2. She was like that (still can be) and she didn't have any disruptions in her life. I think every kid has a different personality and maybe for Gracyn its just especially hard. I think you're doing such a great job loving and being a mommy to Gracyn. You're doing everything in your power to make her feel secure. Hang in there.
Love, Holli
PS: Peyton is the best big brother willing to fight for his little sister. :)

MommytoAJ4 said...

We're coming up on 2 years of our son being in our home. He just turned three. We've been there. His was a domestic adoption, we don't have the language barrier issue and he was in a superb foster home and we still have regular contact with them. But we've dealt with those tantrums and blank stares. It gets better! And it gets different, not worse, just different as they are begin to be able to express themselves with words. It is so frustrating though as a Mother! And so easy to blame yourself, don't do it! He still gets mad when Daddy changes him instead of me sometimes and we're dealing with some very frustrating behaviors right now. But it has gotten alot better. Saying a prayer for all of you tonight.

Staci said...

Tiff, I really wish I could offer some good advise. I really do think the two's and three's are hard years!! You are a GREAT mother so don't get down on yourself. It sounds like you are doing you're very best. Praying for Gracyn.

Steve n Coco said...

This must be so stressful for all of you. I'm so sorry. I have nothing to offer, but peace be with you. I will be praying for that eventual turn when there are more steps forward than back.

Our Family said...

Tiff,

I'm so sorry about the setback and the "fits". I have no words or ideas to help but I am thinking of you and I think the fact that you are in counseling is your best support for Gracyn.

Lori

Lisa said...

Hi,

I'm going to delurk to share that its possible your trip and break in daily routine, familiarity, etc. has triggered this most recent episode.It won't help with the "what now" but sometimes it helps to understand the "why".
With that being said, I think its important that you did take a family trip....what sounds like a joyful, amazing trip at that :) AND are showing Gracyn that while you may travel, visit new people/places,etc. you will always return home as a family to resume normal happy life. Going yes, but returning to her secure base.
I also think that sometimes its just hard to be an adoptive Mama or a Mama period! But when your kiddo is adopted there is always that tickling of doubt....is it an attachment issue? A bonding disruption?....are they grieving?...and a host of other worries too. At least its never a dull moment and heavens knows the blessings they return are worth every worry or grey hair!! :)
Having read your blog and celebrated with your family from afar, I honestly believe you are doing every thing you can and give both of your babies such genuine love and devotion. This too will pass and probably IS exaggerated by her age. Oh those 2's can be a roller coaster! :)

I hope you don't mind me sharing....I just hate to imagine you suffering or doubting yourself.....you are doing a wonderful job!!
Lisa C.
www.destination-taiwan.blogspot.com

Tisra said...

Oh no! I hear the love for you daughter and your frustration pouring through at once!

If you haven't read "The Connected Child"- run and get it. It was the only adoption book in the bookstore the day before our flight and I grabbed it out of desperation. I was really bummed, because I wanted Attaching in Adoption (the one everyone talks about). It turns outl, this book is the most lovingly and helpfully constructive book I've read on adoption. It lays a bunch of issues down regarding children who come from rough backgrounds and rather than scaring you, makes you feel armed with knowledge, tips, techniques, and an ability to interpret what on earth their behavior indicates.

It's so good that I have even found some methods to be helpful with my bio kids. The focus is on nurturing your child, coming alongside them, and giving them a "felt safety".

It seems to be a newish book (2006?) so maybe a lot of people haven't heard of it yet. And, while not "Christian" it is authored by some people associated with Texas Christian University and I find everything in it to be compatible with Biblical teaching- boundaries with love.

You have my prayers that steps forward happen quickly and that you have the wisdom of the Lord in the heat of the moment.

Tisra
waiting to bring my own toddler home from India (I may be calling you to gain insight a few months from now!)
www.bdhq.net

Lisa said...

Hi, thank you for stopping by and the sweet comments! I so hope you come by often and I plan to delurk here quite a bit more! :)

I wanted to say that I think a post of the topic your mentioned would be wonderful and very appropriate. I have thought of doing that from time to time also, but just don't seem to buckle down and get it done! LOL :) I think it would resonate with so many folks!

I hope things are improving each day and I am thinking of you.
Hugs, Lisa C.

KB said...

Hey Tiff,

Just wanted to say thank you for being open and honest...I feel like there are alot of adoptive moms going through the same thing and I appreciate you sharing with us...Andy has screaming mad baby fits quite often and I just get soooo frustrated....I think I just need to remind myself that this too shall pass...however long it may seem!!

Hang in there.....
Hugs,
Kristy

The Family K. said...

Hi friend,

I don't know why I missed this post back when it first went live, but I wanted to jump in and say a) I'm so glad to read that Gracyn's sleep is starting to regularize a bit more, and b) you're in my thoughts. What you're all going through is so difficult. Remember that God is your strength and has equipped you to rise to the challenge. I know that with the love he and everyone in your family have for her, Gracyn is in the best hands possible.