3.01.2009

Milestones to Celebrate and Reflect Upon

33 years ago, I was born to wonderful, and loving parents. Not a birthday goes by that I don't think of my mom. She went to be with the Lord almost 6 years ago now. It's hard to believe that I celebrated every milestone of my life with my mom. From my first words, my first steps, my first cartwheel, to my first ballet shoes, and my last pointe shoes. She would cheer me on at every dance recital, attended every game, home and away, that I've ever cheered at, every choir performance, every piano recital, and even the few flute and violin performances I had in between.

The funny things I'll never forget.
Mother's Chocolate Chip cookies and Dorito's as part of breakfast are okay, in fact anything "every once in a while" is fine. If you dress up for your doctor's appointments, you'll get better service. Don't just smile, but smile with your eyes too. (Yes, she made me practice before school photos.) You can get really good deals if you shop at Macy's and take advantage of the Early Bird specials, use your card, and get the additional 20% off.

What I won't carry on by way of tradition. . .
I won't make Gracyn or any other daughter I may be blessed with wear those funny circle hats that look like the cap to a water bottle for Easter. I won't make them wear dresses with empire waistlines at the age of 12. I won't make them wear ruffle socks ever. And hair does not have to be curled ALL the time to be pretty.

6 months ago, I met Gracyn for the very first time. She was so cute, so scared, so mad, just downright angry, but she was mine. We celebrated many firsts together in her birth country. Her first walk in a stroller, her first train ride, her first cab ride, her first bath with me, her first American PINK sandals, I think her first Cheerio's, her first skyping experience, and her first flight!

The last six months have been incredible. Incredibly challenging, filled with frustration and tears from both of us. Incredibly sweet, watching Gracyn open up and showing her true happiness. She now smiles a lot, and she laughs, and even pretend laughs if she thinks it's supposed to be funny. She runs around after her brother around the kitchen island, and helps me get ready for my day. Hands me my lotion, my makeup, even helps me put my pants on! Gracyn is still only saying a few words, signing a few others, has had her hair cut twice, is still just over 25 lbs, but her face has really filled out. I can't wait to see what the next 6 months will hold for us!

Six long months ago, my dad and I went to Taiwan to meet Gracyn. . .
 
Posted by Picasa


What's bitter sweet. . .
I've celebrated my wedding day, the birth of my first child, the adoption of my second, the pregnancy of my third, and she wasn't here for any of these milestones. Here in my heart yes, but not here for my children to know her. Not here to read them stories, or to help me give them baths. I miss my mom, especially today, as I reflect on my 30-something years of life, and our 6 month anniversary with Gracyn.

A photo I created for my dad, although my mom has never met Peyton. . .
 
Posted by Picasa


Gracyn has been home for 6 months and is settling in. . .
 

 
Posted by Picasa


Gracyn - We are so blessed to call you our daughter and sister. You were so worth the wait! I know the last 6 months have not been easy for you. Leaving behind all that you know. Familiar faces, familiar foods, familiar sounds and smells. . .all that you knew for the first two years of your life suddenly disappeared. You have grown so much and I think you actually love all of us now, as your family. You and your brother sure do behave like siblings! You know what you want, that's for sure, and you love to eat! From veggies to mint chocolate, your taste buds are just like Mommy! Your eyes are so big and beautiful. Daddy thinks you're the cutest thing!! We pray that you become the young lady He always intended for you to become. We pray that you continue to be at peace in your new home with us, your forever family. We love you fancy pants!

14 comments:

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

Happy Happy Birthday my dear friend! I loved your entire post. Thanks so much for sharing your heart with us! :) I know your mother is with you through all these milestones in spirit and is so very thrilled for you and your sweet Gracyn! :) Wow 6 months! What a milestone! :)

big big hugs
Tami
Noah's mama
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

The Family K. said...

Happy birthday to you! Your mother sounds like she was an amazing woman. It must be so hard to know that she has missed out on so many special milestones in your life, but it sounds like she has left an enduring impact on your life and still makes her presence felt in so many ways. Thanks, too, for sharing all the pictures of your time together in Taiwan. Congratulations on 6 months!

Staci said...

Happy Birthday Tiff! Your mother sounds like such an amazing woman and Mama. I'm so sorry she is not here to see your beautiful kiddos. I can't imagine how hard that must be. I have a feeling she would be extremely proud of the mother you have become to P and G(& sweet pea 3). Thanks for sharing all those photos. I can't believe it's already been 6 months! Happy 6 months. :)

Hugs,
staci

JackieMacD said...

Happy Birthday, Tiff! I feel so honored to call you my friend. I am amazed that we actually made it through the journey to our little girls -- sometimes barely. I can't wait to see you all soon and actually live out our dream of Disneyland!

I know this day must be so bittersweet without your mom. I'm sure she's very, very proud of the woman you are. Just remarkable.

XO

lorabelle said...

Tiff,
Love this post! Happy birthday you old woman!!! I can say that because I'm older than you, LOL.
Thanks so much for sharing so many pictures of your precious Gracyn and your trip over to Taiwan to bring her home. It was wonderful to watch, and now I need to go wipe my eyes again and blow my nose! Have a wonderful week!

RamblingMother said...

happy birthday what a tribute to you mom, dad and gracyn!

Sarah said...

Psst! Darryl! Here's a mother's day present idea: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=vl_other_2&listing_id=18952125

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! I know how hard it is to be without your mom for milestones. My mom (and my last parent-my dad died when I was 8) died just one week before Caroline was born in China. She missed meeting her only grandaughter and her only left-handed grandchild (mom was a proud lefty). I know she would have loved Caroline's spunky personality just as your mom would have loved all her grandchildren. It's hard knowing you can't share all those milestones with her. I longed to call my mom with the latest thing my children did and it causes a little bit of pain every time.

Ramona said...

I really must be tired these days. I came back to see your video about Gracyn and noticed March 1 is also your birthday. Happy Birthday Tiff!!

I love the video you put together about Gracyn joining her family. I wonder if I'll ever be able to watch one of these without welling up. Gracyn is SO SO beautiful.

Tisra said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your mom. This past week was 9 years since losing my mom to breast cancer and I share all the same emotions. All of the best things in my life (minus my wedding) have been missed by her, though she raised me and knew me more intimately than anyone for all those amazing years. It stinks, it's horrible, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Your mom was gorgeous, and she died far too young.

Congratulations on the 6 month-a-versary and Happy, Happy Birthday!

Tisra
waiting to travel to India for Dorothy
www.bdhq.net

Steve n Coco said...

Happy belated birthday, dear Tiffanie. Thank you for always sharing your heart so openly. I'm so sorry that you are missing your mom right now. I have to say, though, I know she would be mighty proud of the work you've done in and for your family. Mighty proud.

Precious Wonders and Little Monkeys said...

HaPpY BiRtHdAy TiFf!! I know you're mother is watching you now and is so proud of her little girl; she raised such a great one! Your mother is stunning and radiant, just like you and is also still living in you, teaching your beautiful daughter the ways to becoming a beautiful righteous woman. I love the photo of Peyton with his Grandparents. You honor your mother with your writing and your children will know and love so much about this person that they have met, through you. You are awesome Tiff... Happy Birthday. =0) Love, Sara.sofa

Our Family said...

Happy Birthday Tiff! Your words about your mom made me cry. You were blessed to have such a wonderful, loving and fun mother! I know she would be very excited and proud of you! Take care!

Lori, Sierra and Samantha!!

Natalie said...

What a beautiful post. I no longer have my mother and everything you said echoed in my heart! I too miss her very much.
Your daughter is a doll. Congratulations!