2.28.2010

Practicing Headshots. . .Want to help?

After many shots and bribes to include a selection of blurry shots, overexposed shots, underexposed shots, closed eye shots, gunk in the eyes or nose shots, here are my favorite. . .Want to help? Tell me which one you like best? I'm learning to critique my own photographs, but why not get some help from all you Mama photographers out there!

What I've learned so far, I love to shoot above Gracyn. In other words, having her look up does wonders for eyes and profile. And when shooting a baby with not so baby soft perfect skin, I love the brighter, intentionally overexposed shots. Looks pure and angelic and accentuates the intensity of her dark eyes and pink lips.

1
 

2
 

3
 

4
 

5
 

6
 

7
 

8
 

9
 

10
 

11
 

12 (cheated and cropped rhis one!)
 


Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

Tiffanie... I love them ALL and I also love the ones of your son in the previous post. I am NO help because I can't pick a favorite.
Your photos are beautiful and so are your children!

I tried to get some photos today but couldn't bribe hubby to model for me.... Lily assures me she is the best one for the job... so tomorrow we'll try. I have my bribes ready!
Ty thought sticking his tongue out for a photo was hilarious.
Oh my!

Staci said...

1,3,7,8,12. Love them ALL, but those jumped out to me. Love the outfits too, where did you find G's dress? I'm so enjoying all your photography posts! Are you still using the same camera?

The Family K. said...

You get a shiny gold star for capturing so many viable shots of your kids. Taking pictures of wiggly little ones is no easy feat!

I vote for #s 7 and 12. To me, those have the best combination of exposure, composition, and eye contact.

I'm really enjoying seeing what you come up with. Keep it coming!

Sarah said...

Yes, Gracyn's angel eyes have to be a dream to photograph!

Critique: I think number two would have been better if your aperture wasn't quite to wide open. I'd like to have her bangs more in focus, although you might sacrifice some of the wonderfully blurry background.

With number three and four, your subject is beautiful, of course... but I'd like to see her on a background with more contrast.

With number 6 I'd suggest having the aperture not so wide open so more of her face is in focus.

Number eight makes me want to giggle with her!

Number twelve is my favorite. Angel eyes wonderfully sharp, like the movement, and I like seeing more of that pretty dress! LOVE that fabric.

Sometime I'd love to see a post with links to your favorite etsy sellers. You have some great finds!

Sarah said...

Also... I don't think cropping is cheating, at all. Cropping is an art to itself, and is often very creative. Square, 4x6, portrait or landscape... rotate left, rotate right... so many options!

momwithfaithandhope said...

Thank you so much for all of the feedback. . .if you're still following the comments, I really appreciate all of the suggestions. I'm still learning to fiddle with the settings and I'm so focused on getting that exposure indicator at a certain point I forget the combinations I can use to get there. I like 12 too!! Thank you for the feedback. Keep it coming!

momwithfaithandhope said...

Thank you so much for all of the feedback. . .if you're still following the comments, I really appreciate all of the suggestions. I'm still learning to fiddle with the settings and I'm so focused on getting that exposure indicator at a certain point I forget the combinations I can use to get there. I like 12 too!! Thank you for the feedback. Keep it coming!

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

What lovely photos....ALL OF THEM!!

Love the ones of your daughter looking up with those beautiful eyes of hers. Loved the one of Addison with the scrunched up nose giggle.

You are very talented and you have some yummy models aka children:) I need to learn to take pictures of very fast moving objects. Hayden will NEVER sit still for a moment, so all of my pictures of blurry:(