8.22.2009

WANTED: Best Mom Tips

I'm about to become a mom to three, aged four and under. That makes me like a REAL mom, right? With one, you can still keep the sporty sedan, provided you don't mind the car seat denting your interior leather. With two, you become better at juggling, but the kids really do keep each other company, and the ratio for us still remained at one parent to one child. With three, well, we're about to be outnumbered.

What I've learned since becoming a Mom:
1. Leave extra diapers and wipes in the glove compartment.
2. Always have kleenex or paper towels within reach of the driver's seat.
3. Keep a stroller of some sort in each car.
4. Keep a portable toilet (potty training style) in each car with ziplock bags.
5. Always have a dry snack that doesn't stale easily (cereal works) and drinks.
6. Always have anti-bacterial gel on hand.
7. Sippy bottle caps that attach to water bottles/sports drinks work wonders!
8. Thermos Sippy's really do work for 12 hours. (Target now has a Kai-Lan one!)
9. Buy Disney Toys from Target before you go to Disneyland and save tons of $!
10. Pick out clothes the night before.

So, what I want from you. . .your BEST MOM TIPS!!!! Please comment away and leave as many as you have to share!!! I'm going to need 'em.

8 comments:

Jill said...

LOL! Sorry I cannot be of much help.......I am still trying to wrap my mind around two! (thanks for all the tips you listed, i am going to go stock up my new minivan!)
BTW, where might I find #7?

I am so excited for you!! I cannot wait to see the next peanut's little face!!
Hugs, Jill

Ruth said...

A low to the ground (so the little ones can reach) clothes rack, or rod in the closet. We hang shirts & dresses & am trying to group outfits together this fall. They can see what is there without making a mess and can pick outfit they want without my help(very important to my girls).
Long sleeve white t-shirts underneath their favorite character t-shirts gives you summer & fall/winter clothes.
We love Huggies diapers. They work great & are cheap (usually cheaper than store brand).
That's all I can think of for now... Good luck!

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

I loved your tips! YOu definitly have the good mom tips! Thanks :)

HUGS
Tami

Sarah said...

1. Buy all the same white socks so you don't have to pair them up exactly after doing laundry. Go to the next size up all at the same time and get rid of the small ones.
2. Look on eBay or Craigslist for something expensive that you want and buy it used.
3. Keep disposable bibs in the car (Pampers has better ones than the Munchkins ones at Target) for meals on the go and in restaurants. Use plastic washable bibs rather than cloth for meals at home for easy clean-up.

Lisa said...

Love that you are gathering these tips, cuz it means blessing #3 must be on her way soon!! :) Sometimes I think Mama's have that special intuition....this is just one more form of nesting!!

Your tips are right on and I live by the code of keeping dry snacks/drinks on hand at all times too!

These might help too:
~ always keep a sweatshirt or jacket in the car for each child...just in case. AND an extra change of clothes for babies/toddlers.
~keep an umbrella handy too!
~I tuck a small packet of crayons/small notebook into my bag for those unexpected "down" moments.
~dum dum suckers....hey, its not a bribe! lol
~Shout wipes in the "to-go" packets...a lifesaver! Again, tucked into bag or car.
~sidewalk chalk is WAY more fun after it rains OR hose off the pavement first, for more vivid colors!
~Shaving cream in the tub is loads of fun and a great activity for a rainy day! = nice long activity for restless munchkins!
~Keep band-aids in your bag or car!
~I used a receiving blanket as a diaper changer for the on-the-go, instead of those bulky ones that come with said diaper bag = freeing up all the space that someone like me requires to haul all the beforesaid items! Yes, it seems I carry a small suitcase around! LOL

Ack...sorry, that's a lot and probably all things you already do or knew! I can't wait to "meet" baby #3!!
Hugs!!

Unknown said...

1. Once you have three kids figured out, it's really no big deal to add #4 or #5. By then the older children can help out a little. :)
2. Sarah's sock tip is great, plus you will soon begin to love Summer as that is the time the kids can wear sandals- thus no more wearing and sorting socks.
3. Cut yourself some slack and realize we will make mistakes. Keep a hidden bag of chocolate for those times.

lorabelle said...

These are some great ideas. Lots of smart moms are reading your blog! I'll share a couple of mine, but I think you've probably already got it under control.

I always take a blanket to the doctors office, so when they ask me to remove all of my baby clothes while waiting for the doctor to come in, I can still snuggle and keep my baby warm and baby is comforted with his/her own. I put it away after we're finished and toss it in the wash as soon as we get home because I worry that it might have sick germies.

I give Tylenol to my baby/children about 20 minutes BEFORE we go in to get immunizations.

I like to use flush-able wipes to "clean-up" a poopy diaper so I can dump the poo & wipes in the toilet and flush it down. No stinky garbage that way. I also save my plastic grocery bags and wrap/tie up diapers before I toss them. I've never had any luck with those diaper genies.

Frozon GoGurts and frozen halved grapes work great for teething babies.

I try to save play-dough time for Allie, for when we're at one of the older kids "outside" ball-games. I buy those tiny sized (party favors) play-doughs and give her a couple of those along with a couple of molds and a plastic cutter. This keeps her happy for an hour so I can watch the boys play their games!

Can't wait to see this baby! I'm getting so excited for you!

Precious Wonders and Little Monkeys said...

Oh goodness! This is so funny! I'm a first aid kit mama. I hate running back to the car for one so I always have bandaids, alcohol wipes, gloves and spray neo to go in a baggie in my pocket! I also get the antibacterial gel and clip it to my pant buckle! I go sans d-bag now, but when I did have one... my husband says I had enough in there for an emergency pack for 3 days! I gotta run... kids woke up! =0) Sara