8.02.2009

A Week of Fasting, Spontaneity and Many Firsts

WARNING:
After a week of no blogging, pregnant mama went a little blog crazy while Daddy and Peyton went out for ice cream and Gracyn napped. Long post ahead.

Our Pastor challenged us to fast this past week. We decided to give up the television, so when we got home from church, I put the remotes away so no one would accidentally turn it on. Sure, there's a power button on the front of TV, but who would actually walk over to it, right? And me, I gave up our blog. Reading allowed, no time spent writing posts and playing with photos.

It became a week full of "firsts". The kids began sleeping in Peyton's room after a very structured routine of baths, snacks, reading time, and then straight to bed. No more paci's outside of the bed. No television. And, Peyton started attending a new pre-school. (If you're wondering if the structured bedtime routine is really a first in our household, I must admit that the answer is YES. . .and it's wonderful!)
 

 

Another very special "first" celebrated this week, was Peyton really experiencing Jesus, by using his very own hands as a result of two challenges presented to us by our Pastor. Fasting was the first, and spontaneity the second. When we explained to Peyton what we were doing and why, we told him it was a way to remind us of all that we've been blessed with and to give our family a chance to connect more with each other and with God. We were talking about the hot weather and how we should bring water to the needy. When Peyton overheard our conversation he became very interested in helping. (He originally offered his DVDs, but we convinced him that water might be a better option!) Darryl, Peyton and I brought bottles of cold water and hot dogs to the needy serving the thirst and hunger of close to 200. The experience was incredible. To hear Peyton saying, "God bless you," and pulling shoes out of his basket to bring in case there were children who went barefoot, and giving high-fives to people who could very easily have been judged as dirty was such a blessing.
 

No television after dinner lead us outdoors. We spent time swimming, walking, and at the park!! And best of all, our family enjoyed time reconnecting with each other and with God.

 

 

 

Another first. . .Peyton is starting SOCCER!!!! I can't believe they sell cleats for kids his size. We had no clue what we were doing in the soccer store. And even though Darryl looks like he might be able to play, he never has. . .I love my boys.

 

 

Gracyn's first time climbing up the ladder, spotting and butt lift compliments of daddy, while very nervous mommy held her breath.

 

Are you familiar with the Backyardigan's? Can you hear my kids singing, "Gotta hold on tight, Hold Tight"? I think they're trying to tell me that I'm in the home stretch and they're baby sister is on the way. . .

 

Stay tuned. . .Next post will include updated belly shots. Just about 6 weeks to go, although if you went with the comments I receive on a daily basis, I'll be lucky if I make it another 4.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

clap clap clap! Great to hear from you. Gotta hold on tight!

Staci said...

LOVE all the new pics!!! Sounds like you guys are doing great. Can't wait to meet the newest little one. So soon. Take care yourself :)

Expecting Good Things said...

Wow. That is really cool about the water / food. What a great idea and way of teaching the kids. I could probably go without the tv but internet? THAT would be hard. You've inspired me to yet again put our foots down on sleeping in their own rooms. SO hard but B is starting school in a week. Now's our chance. Can't wait to see the belly shots!
Holli

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

Wow! Lots of first goin on there :) And I LOVE the being Jesus with skin on with the water and food :) That I am sure made a HUGE impact on your kids for life! :) I love all the pictures :) I can't wait to see the tiniest sweet pea :) and of course the pics of belly while I wait :) heehee

hugs friend,
Tami
PRAYING JEREMIAH HOME QUICKLY
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

Steve n Coco said...

I love it! Your post actually made me cry (though, sorry to say, a lot of things do that these days :)). I love hearing how kids get involved in blessing people that need it so badly! It is such an important part of learning who Jesus is and why he is so great.

So glad to hear about all of your firsts too! Congratulations and I pray that you have the strength to keep it up (at least for the next 6 weeks...).

Wow, you're getting close now! Can't wait to "meet" this new little person!!

lorabelle said...

Love this post!!!

Spending the last two weeks together in our cramped condo without some of the luxuries that we're used to, our family of six really found ourselves connecting on a different level as well... Now if I can just convince them/us to continue to limit our television, computer and electronics time...

How wonderful that Payton is growing so much spiritually. I believe it's time for our family to experience the gift of giving and sharing as well... Thanks for the reminder!

Looking forward to following more closely in the near future as you post more pics. Good times to come!!! Soccer games, independent climbing and new family members. Hang in there Mama!

Lisa said...

Wow....to so many aspects of this post. I am blown away by your family's commitment to giving and the helping hand you must have provided to so many. Including the children in this philanthropy is a true gift to them and I'm so proud and touched by you all!

Kudos to you for turning off the T.V. We try hard to unplug from time to time too and its always a blessing to recapture that precious family time. Trips to park...ice cream...those are far more entertaining anyways, right! Its sometimes just more scary imagining doing it...so good for you guys!

Tell your little man that our Lauren is starting soccer too....AND she snagged black and pink cleats....who knew?? LOL We will have to swap "soccer" pics. someday soon! :)

The photos are gorgeous...I love your collage effect!

6 more weeks.....double wow....that is just so exciting! Hang in there sweet Mama.....can't wait to see those belly shots!
Hugs!
Lisa

Precious Wonders and Little Monkeys said...

Whew... I am so so thankful I didn't miss the due-date! I love being outdoors... sadly it's nasty blistering hot that we have to scramble outside after breakfast at 7 am to enjoy about 90 to 100. Stil gotta love the great outdoors. I love your creativity with your pics. I have relented to that I will never have time to do creative posts. ha ha Almost there chica.. get ready for family of five. you know, you never really are ready but it is so worth the adventure making the manual.
=0) Sara

p.s. I think you are right... our dear little girls are fiesty little mamas!

Tisra said...

That is AWESOME. I love the immediate rewards God chooses to encourage us with when we seek Him more than ever, and trust Him more than before. Sounds like an amazing breakthrough kind of week!

Ramona said...

I always read your blog on my BB so I miss the beauty of your photography and I had no idea you'd redone your blog. It's beautiful!!! About baby girl #2, did you ever post her name? If so, I missed it. All I know is it must end with an 'n'. Only a month to go!

I am so NOT surprised that Peyton conducted himself so well when serving the needy. You've done a fantastic job with this boy. He's the right mix of serious, funny, rascal and baby.

And look at Gracyn! It gets better little by little, doesn't it? She has a look of serenity in her eyes. What a pretty warrior girl.

The Family K. said...

It sounds like a productive week, both temporally and eternally. You've certainly given me a lot of things to think about.