I'm exhausted. She did really well with the introduction. I sat back, and waited for her to bring something to me. I think she knew what was happening. . .The one thing I kept requesting was that the family not leave without saying goodbye. I know it's very hard to say goodbye on either end, but it was something that I strongly felt should and needed to happen for both Gracyn and the foster family for closure.
I found out that the foster family is Paiwan as I thought. They don't think Gracyn is aboriginal, but they did give her some aboriginal dresses, and I showed them the bracelets that I bought for her at the Aboriginal Cultural Park. Her Foster Mom changed her into a the red dress below. In addition to her clothes, they provided us with her toys, everything we've sent, the cameras and video camera we sent, albums, blanket, and even diapers, formula, and treats for her.
I'm probably skipping over so many details, but I really am just drained. . .the family left and was in the car, when I began to beg and plead with the SLC Staff and Social Workers to please ask them to say goodbye. I thought at that point I'd just have to accept that everything else was as we had hoped. Family came, answered all our questions, but perhaps the way they do things there is to leave for fear the "goodbyes" are all too hard. God pulled through for us! They came back and said goodbye, both mom and dad hugged me in front of Gracyn. Her Foster Mom and I both stood there in tears. . .she was devastated. It was so apparent from the minute they walked in that they cared for her as one of their own.
Surprisingly, Gracyn waved bye to them without any tears. . .she took to my dad right away! She likes men - DH, get ready! She didn't cry at all while we were at SLC. When we got in the cab, she was hysterical. . .she cried at the top of her lungs until we got to the HSR. And guess what? She cried the ENTIRE time from Tainan to Taipei. For the first 5 minutes we were in our cabin, before we were asked to move because she was disturbing other passengers. Then we were in a cabin by ourselves for about 30 minutes, and then that cabin filled up, so we ended up in the entrance passing area the rest of the trip. Oh wait! until my dad managed to put her to sleep and we sat in our original seats, but she woke up 15 minutes before our stop, so back to the lovely, tiny compartment with no seats. . .Let me make it clear that she was crying, flinging her whole body back, scratching and pulling at her head because she was so hot, and she did better with my dad than me, so my dad took on the task. Thanks Dad!!!
She did okay with the new shoes, new pj's, and new formula, but I think she's attached to her bottle. I'll try again tomorrow. She barely eats for a 2 year old, instead just taking a bottle with rice cereal. DH - you win on shoe size, I win on height. She's so petite! And watch out. . .she's super anal, needs everything in it's place, and know what she wants when she wants it. She's funny, smart, can follow commands, but still not using any words. Likes to play with the remote, the phone, the fax machine - pretty much anything mechanical.
We're sleeping on the floor, and probably will be for a while. She did eat when we both fed her. She has excellent eye contact. She's mad. But sometimes I don't think it's us, it's just she wants to be out playing. DH - does that sound familiar? She doesn't take well to strangers at first, but shares with everyone. Thank goodness for that one! I really think having her home with Peyt will do wonders for her.
When we got off the train, I failed to remember my own tip, and we somehow only had one ticket. Which meant we couldn't get out. The guy refused to let us out, so as I crouched down looking, my dad literally put Gracyn's screaming head near his ear! LOL - my dad found the ticket in his pocket 5 minutes later, and BTW this was the first point where I thought I was going to scream. We finally got to a cab, and yet again, TEARS all the way until she fell asleep for about the last ten minutes. Then the crazy guy tried to drop us off somewhere (not in front of the hotel) so I had to go get hotel staff to help me with the bags. . .in the rain. . .
When we got to the hotel, she continued to cry, until my dad finally just took her out for a walk. I took a quick shower, uploaded the pics, and then he brought her back. I told him to go ahead and leave the 2 of us, which again triggered yet more tears, thrusting, hitting of her head and mine, until she finally laid down with me, took a bottle, I rubbed her palm, and she dozed for a bit. Dad came back with the food, and she woke up a different person. We played and she ate a bit of rice and tonkatsu, made sure that the two of us ate, and she was laughing! I had my dad take her down to get hot water for her bottles. (I had PJ's on!) And they came back, with no fuss. At 8:30, I finally forced the crying again, to put her to sleep. It required both me and dad to lay down on the floor with her, she still preferred my dad over me, but she fell asleep in less than 5 minutes. I'm sure if she wakes in the middle of the night or even if she makes it until morning she'll pitch a fit again. . .
I just accidentally deleted an entire part of this post, and have no idea what I just wrote. . .
Let me try again, she's anal, knows what she wants when she wants it, and likes everything from phones, fax machines, and the remote. She loved playing with paper on my head. . .she has great eye contact, and I think sometimes she's not mad at us, she's just mad. She'd rather be outside playing. DH - sound familiar? But, she does like to share! Thank goodness for that. Oh, she's shy of strangers, and has a birthmark on the left side of her body - dad noticed that! And better yet, she's not picky or attached to any security items (which is good and bad in this case.)
Tomorrow is a free day - which is good. I really hope we're able to get on the plane on Thursday without the crying we experienced today. It was really, really hard, but we were both really calm. We, being me and dad. Not sure how I would have done it without him.
God has continued to give me peace. . .did I mention that Gracyn's foster family is Christian? And she loves to shake hands and sing at church! I have no idea what I'm typing anymore, so I think I better sleep while I can. I'll have to write more when I get home, and I'm sure I'll look at this and wonder, what was I writing???
DH and Peyt - I miss you terribly. Please continue to pray for all of us. . .
Gracyn is beautiful, smart, silly, and remember how I said I thought she looked like Nick? Well I think she kind of looks like Maddie! (Which would make sense since Nick and Maddie are twins!) She's built like Maddie too. . .I know she'll be fine - I'm just a little worried about the plane ride and car ride home. . .oh, and she loves playing in the water. Maybe they'll lock us up in the lavatory? I can barely keep my eyes open. . .love you guys!
17 comments:
Oh my gosh - amazing MAMA! She is absolutely gorgeous and you are just beaming!!
Thank you for your honesty in the post. You know, being a mom is anything but glamorous! I'm praying she's OK on the plane. I think with a couple of days to adjust before, maybe she'll be better.
You're in my thoughts and prayers every step of the way.
Congratulations! She is just beautiful. Sounds like a hard first day, but I know she will do better with your son Peyton once you get home. Your dad is amazing!
You are in my thoughts and prayers for a smooth flight home-
Janalee
(I am pretty sure I know you from playgroup with Jen? The one that needs to start up again!)
Oh Tiffanie
She is so Beautiful and has such a radiant smile!! You look so complete and are obviously doing a wonderful job with Gracyn. I remember that feeling of Miah wanting her dad but the great thing is it does go away! Looks like your dad is doing a wonderful job! I can't wait for you to get some sleep and have lots of stories to read! She is beutiful and you are amazing!! Stay strong and good luck on the trip home. I am praying for you guys!
Love ya!
Pam
hey tiffanie! Gracyn is just so beautiful! Congratulations! Hang in there, these are all good signs...will pray for your trip home!
Thanks for posting for all your fans rooting for you back home!
Kristy
hello my friend!
She is so adorable-- you are doing a great job! she sounds so much like MiKayla and a little mix of Marissa thrown in there! lots of walking and ear plugs did wonders for us :)
After thinking about her gotcha day MiKayla said the other day with a big smile and hug, "mama i cried alot when you first got me because i didn't know you yet, i just knew my aiee (foster mom) but now i know you!"
God is present , he has brought you this far and will carry you on--you all will make it through on to your way to beautiful : )
you are in our hearts and prayers. love you all!!
babs
YIPEEE! I am so glad you have her! Girl I staye dup til 5 am our time hoping to see this post, finally crashed and see many saw it before me :( Oh well. I am so praying for you that things will get smoother and smoother with the little princess. She looks so tall to me in the pictures! Wow! I am sening you such big hugs my dear friend!
Miss you
Tami
Noah's Momy
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com
Congrats! She is just beautiful, and I pray for her to find peace soon!!!
Oh Tiffanie, she is so adorable! Sounds like you and your dad are doing an amazing job with her. Praying that the plane ride goes smoothly.
Congratulations! Gracyn is absolutely beautiful. We are so happy for you guys. Your dad sounds like he's the original "baby whisperer"!
Safe travels,
Greg, Sophia and Katie
Oh Tiff, she is just beautiful! Your face is radiating with joy. I am so happy for you all and can't wait to see her home with her whole family. Glad to hear that gong-gong is able to comfort her. Keep the posts coming!
Hugs ((:0))
she is a beautiful little girl.
my best wishes that every day gets a little easier and that she does well on the plane ride home.
CONGRATULATIONS!
I'm crying as read your post, you're amazing & inspiring mom! You have given me strenghth to overcome my fears when my gotcha day comes.... She is SO beautiful, and her smile will light up a room...just gorgeous. And that was one happy grandpa!!
I can't wait for more..
Debbie
dunnchild.blogspot.com
Oh, Congratulations!! She is such a sweetpea and I can't believe how much she has changed from your pictures!!
I am praying specifically for her grief and for your peace of mind as you deal with the crying. I just pray that God would wrap His arms around you guys as you board the plane and make your way home.
What an exhausting and incredible day for you...
Courtney
oh wow hon. That sounds gut wrenching.I couldn't help but cry for you guys. Hopefully and prayerfully that will be the "big deal" of this transition and it will go well from here. Gracyn in definitely a strong little gal like her mama! She will attach in no time I think.
Her smile is absolutely contagious Tiffanie. She is beautiful and wonderful! I love the pictures. My two favorites are of your dad holding her hand after she fell asleep and you holding her hand and walking with her. TOO SWEET! And your dad is doing excellent!! What a mighty good man!! Go Granddad! I am so happy she is with you now and that you are still at peace. We are still praying for you....
CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a big day for everyone. I have to say that Gracyn is absolutely, positively adorable. I love that picture of her with the big smile.
I am amazed at your ability to make it through such a challenging first day. Someone up there must be giving you a double dose of strength. Just remember that He never gives you more than you can handle. He believes you are up to the task and will continue to equip you to handle this tough transition time with patience, energy, and endurance. I know the love is certainly there on your part. You and your little girl are in my prayers.
Congratulations again!
Congratulations!! What a gorgeous little girl, I'm so touched by what you wrote. Thank you for sharing it all, the good and the not so good! It's so lovely to read an experience that's so real about adoption and the first few days.
Wishing your family every happiness. So thrilled for you!
Daria
Tiffanie - I have a question about the red outfit that Gracyn has on on the train - Katie has a similar outfit in orange - is that a special outfit that means anything? Thanks, Susan H.
Post a Comment