A Christmas Tradition
My mom was known for her black bottom cupcakes, so when we got married, we shared our FAYvorite recipe as part of our wedding favors (her name was Fay). Every Christmas I bake one thing and one thing only. My Mom's FAYmous cupcakes. Here's pictures of Gracyn's first taste! I think she approves. During the year I'm not much of a cook or a baker, with the exception of brownie mix out of a box, so it's a bit of a production, but fun, and in memory of my mom. The mom who made every Christmas full of surprises, the mom who helped me to believe in Santa until I was twelve, the mom who made me get dressed up for my doctors' appointments because she thought I'd be treated better, the mom who made me practice smiling before school pictures, who encouraged me to "smile with my eyes" and the mom who loved and adored me like no one else ever has or ever will. The mom who made these cupcakes taste better than anyone else!
Christmas morning Gracyn was the first to awake. We went out to the kitchen, and she saw the gifts from Santa under the tree. I thought I'd be able to distract her until Peyton woke up. Guess I was wrong, she grabbed my finger pulled me toward the tree, so I threw my camera over my head, she snagged a gift and followed me back to the room to get her brother. I stopped in to use the restroom and she and the present followed. She was ready to open that thing and there was no waiting for the flush or her brohter!
I managed to take her and the half open gift back to the living room. She opened one and moved on to the next which was a gift for both of them.
DH brought sleep head out and Gracyn anxiously tried to awake her big brother.
She was a little less enthuasiastic about the doll I picked out for her. Perhaps it is my love for dolls that drove me to buy my electronics-loving daughter a dolly.
Peyton managed to wake up and open the gift we picked up for the two of them. A camera. One that really works. As you can see below, "girlfriend" as I affectionately call my daughter is in love with my cameras!
This gift deserves the "most time spent researching" award. I wanted to get Gracyn a doll stroller that would last and had swivel wheels. I found this on amazon and after visiting the site a gazillion times, the price dropped and shipping was FREE! I take full responsibility for this WIN - we bought it and it's like the "real deal"!
This gift deserves the "worth every penny" award. . .stay tuned for an entire post on this one!
After opening gifts the kids worked up an appetite. Here they are with the first course. Fried rice.
Peyton of course was already distracted from eating, all thanks to those hand held game things.
Second course caught girlfriend's eye quickly.
She "tells" us she wants this, and she's done with the first course.
Very happy girl we have here now that she has a pretty breakfast presented to her by our personal chef, aka Gong-gong.
Our silly boy is still not ready to eat!
Sweet kisses for all. . .well, except for mommy. Not one picture of me with the kids on Christmas day! Oh well! I'm sure I'm not the only mom to be missing from their family's thousands of photos, right?!
It was such a blessing to have Gracyn home for Christmas this year. As much as I didn't want to think about it, there was a slight chance we wouldn't have had her home in time, or perhaps not home home long enough yet to enjoy. As you can see from her kiss with Daddy, the two of them have come a long way! I secretly love that she still prefers me to Daddy because I just love to have her in my arms and love to hold her cheeks in my hands. She is such a cuddle bug. This was my "happy" post, long as it may have been, I wanted to tell the story of our first Christmas as a family of four. The funny post is coming next!
For any of you fellow bloggers, am I the only one having a problem with spell check?! I hope there's no typos above. . .

6 comments:
Yes, spell check is working off and on I have noticed.
Tiff, Thank you for sharing your Christmas. From your friend who had a sick family and whose pice were a flop this year, I loved being a part of your family's special day. To have Gracyn home and doing so well is a blessing indeed. That stroller is incredible. I have to find one for E. I'm with Gracyn, that breakfast looked very yummy. The rice bowl on the head thing was cute too!
So there is more? funny? let's here it! I can't wait. We are STILL recovering from the crud over here. So I could use some laughs, ha! Merry Christmas again sweet friend. I look forward to going through 2009 with ys!
adorable pics. love your christmas morning narrative.
These are some of the best pics I've seen yet of Gracyn! Love the relaxed smiles. Those cupcakes look so yummy. I love that you're sharing your mom's tradition with your kiddies. She's right there sharing in your joy.
It seems to me that your Mom would be/is very proud of you Tiff. Your cupcakes looked wonderful and I have a feeling that you probably carry on more traditions than you think...I agree with Ramona that these pics of Gracyn are some of the best! She seems to just be more relaxed, at ease and definitely at HOME.
Peyton makes me giggle every time I see his funny little expressions. What a little rascal.
Long but lovely post. I have to say I am so proud of your culinary skills :0) I am positive that your mom is looking down at your beautiful family and is smiling as well. Peyt and Gracyn look so happy and I am sure that she will eventually love her dolly as much as her mom does :0) And yes, you are one of many mommies who will very rarely be in a picture on your blog (unless I'm there to take your picture that is :0)
what cute photos of your kids, how sweet are they!
Post a Comment