Yesterday marked the 3 month anniversary since meeting Gracyn. She continues to make progress, but still speaks minimal words, and has more recently been experiencing bouts of confusion, grief, and pain. It's almost as if she's been awaken from a deep sleep, but it comes out of nowhere. Not sure what triggers it, but once it starts, there's no other option but to let it run it's course.
It starts with her dropping to her bottom, then onto the floor. I've tried everything from sitting next to her, but giving her space, walking out of sight, but talking to her so she knows I'm still there, to holding her tight and rocking her with the hopes of the "breaking point" where she'll stop crying and find herself in my arms. Nothing seems to work. . .I just have to let her work it out. Some days the tears and the screaming don't bother me - I know it's part of her adjustment process, and nothing can ever compare to the experience of our train ride in Taiwan, but other days I just watch her, and my heart aches for her. I end up crying with her.
In the Media
I recently watched 20/20 where the featured story was on adopted children, and more specifically those with significant challenges leading to camps away from home, a mother in jail for killing her child during a rage, and in some cases even disruption. It was heartbreaking. Granted a lot of the children shown were from disturbing backgrounds of parental abuse, living with alcoholics, and multiple placements. But, let me tell you how it touched my soul and how I could still relate after only being home for 3 months with a 2 year old, who to my knowledge was in a healthy foster care arrangement. Gracyn still has days where getting buckled into a car seat causes her great distress and she fights like crazy. There are nights or during her spells, that I've been scratched and kicked repeatedly. I know not to take it personal, but that doesn't make it easy. I sometimes think she may be displacing her frustration or anger at her foster mother for "leaving" her onto me, her new "mother figure." My heart and prayers go out to these families.
Beginning to share the story of her Foster Family
The other night, I decided after much contemplation to show Gracyn photos of her foster family. Picture after picture, enlarged to be sure she could see their faces clearly I watched her reaction as I moved from one to the next. I was happy to see that the pictures caused her no tears or pain. I'm not sure if she quite comprehends pictures yet - not sure she even recognizes herself. But, she did point to me and to my dad in one of them. (She also just likes to point in general, so it may have been a coincidence.) I had originally feared what these photos might do to her. Set her back, make her angry, but it didn't. I had no intention of showing them to her until she was much older and could comprehend what I was saying. I'm glad I trusted my gut because I want to continue revisiting these photos and start sharing her story with her.
On Toddler Adoption and Attachment
I truly believe toddler adoption presents a very different experience. There's a lot to consider, and a lot of factors that impact what the transition will be like. Gracyn is very easy going, willing to share, smiles and waves to people, but she also has a very intense side to her, that I haven't learned yet how to comfort. She's super happy in the morning, and loves to help me get ready for the day. She loves to play, and laughs quite a bit now, but still, there's one side of her that hasn't let us in.
She has fallen asleep without me the last two nights. It requires creative orchestration - me sending her to daddy with something to hand over to him, daddy offers her a bottle and to watch "Baby Babble," and with a little luck, I hop into the shower, she settles down, and by the time I'm done, she's fast asleep. Granted it's not the best way to go to "bed", but we're working on her comfort level with Dad. So, the last two nights, instead of 4 of us in one room, and practically one bed, Peyton and I have camped out in his room. Luckily, he's happy to bunk with me! Progress on the daddy-front is good.
Prayers
With the holidays upon us, we continue to thank our Heavenly Father for so much in life, but especially for Gracyn. She is beautiful, precious, and funny too! I pray that it in the coming months she will open her heart to us fully and allow us to comfort her during her moments, or several minutes of grief. I pray for her bond with daddy to strengthen, and that He provide them both with patience in their hearts to work through their budding relationship. I pray for His guidance in mothering her and for more patience through this transitional period. I pray that Gracyn will allow daddy into her heart, and that she may be at peace knowing she is home forever, and is so loved by all of us.
For those awaiting the referrals of toddlers, or are nearing the next phase of your journey and will be welcoming toddlers home, I'm happy to answer any questions.

Gracyn - Mommy loves you with all her heart! I'm so blessed to call you my daughter, and I'm filled with joy to have you home for Christmas.
18 comments:
lovely tribute and honesty regarding your beautiful daughter.
Your post is full of honesty, sincerity and love. Such a joy to read. Thank you for sharing!
Eva
The picture of the 2 of you is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. We are adopting a toddler also and I appreciate your experiences and openness.
J's been with us for nearly 5 months now and even though she settles in more and more each day, something will trigger and she becomes somebody I don't know. The distance is wrenching. I think every month after a year brings on a load of new challenges when adopting a toddler. Bonding for our 18 month old was difficult beyond words. I can't imagine what another month or 2 would have been like. As someone who has seen Gracyn from week 1 to just 2 weeks ago, the changes are incredible. Her smile is heartfelt and her eyes look very calm. But like our family, I know there's still work to be done and growth to be experienced. Tiff - this was a great post. Thank you.
By the way, beautiful picture!!
I saw that 20/20 show and emailed a link to a Yahoo group friend who for 2 years has struggled with an older child (8) adoption from China. It has been a long and difficult road for her and she is an experienced mom of 4 other adopted children. I told her and I can tell you, that you are not alone and if you need help, get some. But don't discount your mom instincts. You're a great mom and and the love for your daughter is obvious.
Beautiful post; thank you for sharing your heart, joys and struggles with us all.
Wishing you wondrous days ahead with your lovely family.
Lisa
Tiff, Once again, thank you for being so honest and transparent with everyone. I am learning more from you than the books these days. You are a godly woman with a mother's heart for each aspect of her children's character! I am honored to call you my friend! : )
btw, the picture of the two of you is stunning. I am with Ramona, Gracyn has a light & sparkle in her eyes that I've never seen before!
love you!
Shannon
p.s. I will be praying the same prayers for you!
Tiff, Thanks for being real with us. This post was from the heart. Sharing the struggles as well as the triumphs is important so we all know that we're not alone when we have to work at trust and patience.
Thank you so much for your transparency! We are just weeks away from travel to our almost 3-year-old son in China, and I now know someone I can talk to. :)
Blessings,
Rebecca
Tiff -
She is so beautiful. Hang in there! It took our son, who was adopted at only 8 months old, months to get to sleep easily and then he still had night terrors for a while, and years to really see calmness and to openly express his love to me. Now, at 5, he is a real sweetheart and is constantly drawing hearts and sunshines and saying "I love you". He had years in the middle with fits and different issues that we dealt with. He also didn't talk till after his 2nd birthday (over a year after coming home), but then it was in full sentences right away! Feel free to email me anytime. I think you will be surprised next year at this time.
Tamara
amazing post Tiff, thanks for your continued honesty. I have learned so much from you, it makes me a little more prepared for Jake. praying for you all. beautiful photo of you and Gracyn!
What really strikes me about this post is a) your patient love for your daughter, and b) what a brave little girl she is to have gone thorugh all she has in 2 short years. Thanks for sharing your struggles and the little victories with us.
And by the way, that is one gorgeous picture of the two of you.
Tiff,
I really think you a wonderful Mother. It must be very hard sometimes to not know why she is hurting. My heart aches for the two of you just thinking about it... I will keep you in my thoughts. The picture of the two of you is just breath taking. I sat here and just cried looking at it. She is right were she belongs Tiff. I mean that... The love that you express through your post can only be a small glimpse to what she has surrounding her each day. I pray that she gains a sense of forgiving and is able to let go of her hurt and embrace the love that is all around her very soon.
Lora
Tiff,
Thanks for the honest and touching post. I may come back to it in a couple months. I'm sure I'll be needing lots of advice. She is sure getting cuter by the day! I L-O-V-E the Mommy/Daughter photo. I check your blog often. :)
Hugs, Holli
www.expectinggoodthings.blogspot.com
Hi Tiff, I have read this post over and over. Digesting every word, wondering what part of our journey may mirror what you have shared. I've tried to imagine the helplessness I may feel when our daughter cries out like yours. My mother used to say that I had so much "passion" and she would turn around and watch me errupt into a volcano. My father had to leave when I was 18 months old for work & being one of 10 kids & my mother busy with 5 teenagers... I went through a very rough childhood filled with strange moments of anger one minute & happiness the next. I also wasn't very kind to my siblings at times (kicking & scratching rings all too true for me).
It is hard to explain but reading your words about confusion & grief brings back childhood memories that I can't really put my finger on. They are almost elusive and intangible yet mine. People tell me about what happened when I was a child but it is so hard to connect that it was actually me. I know it was me, but I am such a different person now. Yet I still feel that glowing "fire" over what occurred.
I will never know your daughter's pain or even my daughter's pain, but I do know unbelievable pain & you are doing the right things. Just being there, acknowledging her feelings instead of brushing them under a rug has such healing powers. Remember there is always help out there if you need guidance in the future; don't be afraid to ask. I'm leaving all my options open with Milana.
You are an amazing mother, full of compassion and loving nature. You are genuinely intune to your daughter's needs and she is communicating to you her distress the best she can... and you are that wonderful willing shoulder to lean on when her world has come crashing down around her.
You do love her, that is so visable and wonderful to see... but also know that you are loved.... so very much so. That your worth is so great and you are so very precious too. Much love and hugs, Sara.Sofa
p.s. Hang in there... underneath a fiesty passionate wild rose are grounding roots that always trace back home.
Tiff,
First, I have to say I really love the photo of you and Gracyn. Second, I hope Gracyn continues to adjust and accept daddy and I know that over time she will love you as much as you love her!
Thanks for everything!! Lori
Post a Comment