We've attempted to figure out what Chih-Yun means for quite some time. We've gotten pieces of it translated, but this weekend, a friend of our cousin was able to help us!!
". . .here is my interpretation of the name Chi Yun in Chinese. Chi could have several meanings in Chinese. It means "to grow" when used as a verb; "this" or "that" when used as a pronoun; "of" when used as a particle; or "zigzag" when used as a adjective. Yun means "Rue", or a type of citrus tree with strong aromatic scents, in Chinese. It is commonly used in girl names. Therefore, I think the name means she is a growing tree. Also, aboriginal Taiwanese like to name their offspring with plant and animal names. That probably has something to do with the environment they live in. My guess is the person who gave Chi Yun the name wishes her to grow up as tall and as strong as a tree. . ."
The pronounciation is very difficult. I've been practicing, but am certain I'm not saying it correctly. We've never intended to make this her middle name, but will always cherish it. We're wondering if her Foster Family has another name they refer to her as. Guessing that the Foster Family is aboriginal, and if so, Mandarin may only be the second language.
A lot to look forward to.
2 comments:
How exciteign to get the meaning of the name!! :) I would love to know the meaning of Noah's name. His is Yueh-Tsan and the last name is Su. I wish I had a way to figure it out. It is so neat to know. Thanks for sharing with us :)
Big hugs,
Tami
Noah's Mommy
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com
Tiff,
Your blog is just awesome! It is a beautiful tribute to your family and all God is doing in your lives. It was a blessing to be able to read everything that is here and to "catch up" with what has been going on with you.
Blessings,
Teresa
Post a Comment