9.29.2008

You know you're a Mom when. . .

You know when you're a Mom when (in the last 4 days):

1. You have to keep notes on what to blog before they slip from your mind.
2. You've cleaned projectile vomit off the floor, toilet, shower curtain, and done a midnight feeding simultaneously. (Well, sort of. . .wash hands, bottle in mouth, back to cleaning.)
3. You've changed linen at least 2 times due to leaking diapers.
4. You start to love the laundry room because it offers soft, clean smelling clothes, and some peace and quiet. (Well, until they find you and want to help add clothes to the next load and you have to prop the 3 year old on the dryer, help the 2 year old onto the stool, and then SHARE the dirty clothes between them. GROSS)
5. You start to wander down the hall towards the kids' rooms, and when you get there, you haven't a clue why you were there. . .was it the socks you forgot, or the pink bow on your vanity (for Gracyn not me), or your watch, oh, wait, it was my head that I lost in my shower!!)
6. You ask your 3 year old who's becoming a big boy to promise you that he'll dance with you on his wedding day. And, then ask him a day later, who are you dancing with on your wedding day just to make sure he remembers!
7. You laugh when your 3 year old is playing bartender and calls himself, Chicky-Mon. (I call Gracyn "girlfriend" and "chicky" and Peyton "dude" and "little man" - hence "Chicky-Mon", no that's not a typo - Mon, not Man."
8. You wonder if you've sent Thank You Cards to friends and family, and then wonder as you're writing them, if you're actually writing them for the second time. (Yes, I've used a list. . .note to self, cross them off when done.)
9. You are still eating York Peppermint Patties daily. At least 1, but you know some days call for 3. And no, this is like the 3rd bag, not the one that I wrote about a month ago. My cousin Ang welcomed me home from Taiwan with TREATS!
10. You ENJOY 5 minutes to yourself by eating Milano's and NONFAT Milk - great pairing, I know. (Again, a treat from Ang. The NONFAT is a must since I'd rather blog than get on the treadmill!)

And last but not least, #11: You understand and appreciate why all the moms who are in the post-adoption phase and home don't blog as often anymore.

So here's some questions for those of you who are adjusting to life as Mom to one, or two, or three, or four or more (I'd love a good laugh when I read the comments!):
1. When they're all yelling or screaming do you just wait for it to stop, do you try the calm approach, or do you sometimes just yell to get their attention?
2. When you need time to yourself, do you take an extra long shower, hide in the bathroom reading Adoptive Families, or take your sweet time folding laundry?
3. When you can't remember if you've already lathered up and been in the shower so long washing it off, do you get out, or lather up again just be sure? (Oh, and what if both of your kids are standing at your door less shower?)
4. Do you own a hand vac, swiffer vac, or some comparable item and if so, how many times do you sweep/vacuum a day?
5. Do you bribe your children? If so, what else besides tootsie rolls and Red Reward Stars work?
6. Do you take your kids grocery shopping, and am I the only one who has to open brand new items I have yet to pay for before we get to the checkout stand?
7. Do you use those canvas Recycle Bags or do you actually remember to bring your own Brown Bags so you can save 5 cents per bag? I save them, but they never make it to the store! Even if they make it to the trunk, they don't make it in. . .
8. Do you ever have to ask your husband what you just said, or when his birthday is because you're still filling out paperwork? (DH's response: "What's your name again?")

Question for the Moms in waiting:
1. Would you rather see posts of photos or words from us moms who have just come home? What do you want to read? About the kids, the transition, or about DH?

Disclaimer:
This post was meant to be honest, and funny, not depressing. . .just in case my writing has gone down the toilet I thought I better add this note. Life is wonderful. I am so blessed, and I would never trade this for the world.

Proof:
I allowed someone to take pictures of me wearing clothes that don't match, with hair that's messy, and NO LIPSTICK?! They're real pictures folks. . .of real life and my messy garage!



I must comment here that we were just given promo umbrellas, and my aunt, our photographer, since I'm not in many photos, wanted us to do a funny shot.

5 comments:

Sarah k said...

Chicky mon! I have to laugh.. that is tooooo cute! I love it! I literally chuckled Tif! I want to read it all! I am a first time mom with a 3 year old, going into a probably 9 month old. So entering the "We have TWO children" period. I find all your words wonderful and either helpful or uplifting. So keep just typing what you feel, know and love.. I love it all. And the pictures! THERE HAS TO BE PICTURES! At least some of the time because I love seeing your beautiful family!!!! Love ya girl. If you get wonderful answers.. let me know!
Sarah k
Taiwankiddo2.blogspot.com

Ramona said...

Hey girlfriend! You and your kids are right on target (at least by the Beau standards). Excitement (pre-adopt) turns to grief (he/she doesn't love me) turns to bliss (he/she loves me!) turns to chaos! You're both feet into the 'multi-kid-mom' life!

Room for More said...

Tiffany,

I will be posting my 'answers' later, but your last few posts have been beautiful as you share all that you are as a Christian mother of a newly adopted toddler. I hope you don't mind, but I linked you in my post today! I'm praying for ya!

Shannon

Expecting Good Things said...

Great Post. I am always opening stuff (mainly fruit snacks) in the grocery store before we buy them. I always wondered if that's illegal?? :)
Holli
PS: Messy garage?? You should see ours!! :)

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

Thanks Tiff for the laugh!

From one tired mama to another :)

hugs
Tami
Noah's Mama
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com