9.26.2008

While it's raw and real. . .

I've promised myself that I would post the good and the challenging parts of our journey. I have some great new photos I'd love to blog, but while it's minutes raw, and very real, I wanted to write about a challenging part of our journey.

When we picked up Gracyn she wanted nothing to do with me. Since we've come home, she's attached to me, and will sometimes go to Gong-Gong, but will only go to DH for play time, not comforting.

Tonight, we tried to let DH put her to bed, but instead she refused him, took a bottle and fell asleep on her own. She ended up waking up 3 times in less than 2 hours. The last time she woke up, I went with my gut. No bottle. No leaving her in the crib while I tried to soothe her. I picked her up, held on tight to her wrangling body, her sticky and wet head cradled in my arm, and let her cry it out. I kept telling her, "Mommy is here. You're going to be okay," over and over again. She was thrashing around, fighting me, and then while holding her, I sat in front of a fan. I cooled us both off. A wise mommy once said walking out into the cold worked. It's still too hot here, so I resorted to the fan. I let her wiggle out of my arms as I continued to brush her hair away from her sweaty Little head, and then she stopped crying, looked at me, and smiled. And then she giggled when she felt the fan hit her. It was like she had no idea what we had just been through.

I've resorted to her bottle for comfort time and time again. I think I'm going to start trying to comfort her with my arms. She smiles almost all day. The car seat is still a little bit of challenge, but when she's tired, she wants a bottle, takes me by the hand and either takes me to her crib or the couch. She won't let me really hold the bottle, but she always makes eye contact and wants me to soothe her by rubbing her hands, arms, feet, and legs. I've been trying to let her bond with Daddy, but for sleep time and comforting, nothing is working. It's too painful to listen to her scream in terror, and I don't want her to think I've left her. This was the first night she went to sleep sad, and she didn't sleep well. Never again.

I had a hard time when she was rejecting me. . .then I thought it was hard because I couldn't and still haven't had a good night's rest. . .then I read a blog (linked to Hannah Claire's) and how the daughter won't even let her Mommy carry her. I think it would still be harder on me if she didn't want me or I couldn't soothe her. Tonight when DH couldn't calm her down, Gong-Gong tried. . .she still continued to scream and cry. I walked in, held her and within a few seconds, she instantly calmed down and fell back asleep. I'm blessed, yes tired too, but still blessed that at least she will let me comfort her. I think bed time is the most challenging for our transition. I think her age, and level of attachment to her foster family has a lot to do with it. I prayed for a child who was attached to her family so she'd have the ability to transfer that love and attachment. I hadn't prepared to be her sole source of comfort, especially after her rejection of me in Taiwan.

For those of you adopting toddlers,I think age plays a big part. I think that the number of living disruptions, level of attachment to their caregivers, personalities in part, and gender of primary caregiver will also greatly impact their transition at home. I believe Gracyn's foster mom did all her bathing, diapering, feeding, and comforting. Even in Taiwan when she didn't want me to carry her, she allowed me to bathe, change and feed her. I know her age has a lot to do with it, and I think the fact that she was relinquished at birth, and was hospitalized the first days of her life with no family to comfort her, has a lot do with her insecurity when she wakes at night, and her intense need for me to touch her.

If anyone has suggestions on how to encouraging bonding between DH and Gracyn, please leave comments. If you feel Gracyn on your heart, please pray for restful nights for her. Gracyn's smile makes me melt, and this week, she even lay her head down on my shoulder a couple of times. She always wants to be in my lap, and is happy to give hugs and kisses. When I take pictures of her, it's usually when she's super happy, and the story the photos tell is in fact real. She loves life, loves to explore, and even enjoys roller coasters and cookies. But after the challenging night I just had, that is also very, very real, while it was raw, I wanted to share this part of our journey too.

For Gracyn. . .for who she is today.
She is beautiful, she is my daughter, she is happy, she is sad
She is loving, she is sweet, she is innocent, she is mad
She hugs, she kisses, giggles and shows her love
She is a joy, a gift, and blessing from up above
She was loved by a family, she is loved now by us
She said goodbye to them, without ever making a fuss
She used to see me, my face would cause her fears
She let me into her heart, now I can dry her tears
She is His, we were chosen, we're now a family of four
She was broken, she's healing, we love her to the core

8 comments:

David and Janalee said...

Hi Tiffany,
We went through the same thing with our Maya. Even though she was only eight months old, by the time we left Taiwan, she wanted NOTHING to do with her dad. I remember well when I was where you are right now- So sleep deprived yet so anxious about helping Maya attach to not only me but her new family. When Dave would come home from work she would scream if he even looked at her like he was going to take her away from me or something, she really wanted absolutely nothing to do with him and one night he was fed up with not being able to hold his little girl so he tried to force it which ended up with a 45 minute screaming session and all of us in tears- he did not do this to hurt her, he really thought he could get through to her if I was just out of the picture- anyway, after that night we knew that we had to do something for her to gain his trust, this is what we did- when Dave would come home from work he would stay as far away as he could but he would talk to her and smile at her but never approach her until he had been home for about 30 minutes or so, then he would go near her but not try to pick her up or hold her. this happened for about a week and then we introduced him holding her after he had been home and talking to her for 30 mins but we always followed her lead, if she did not want to be held by him we did not push it and if she did let him hold her then I was where she could see me and I did not leave the room. This went on for a couple weeks and then we added just dad taking her for a short walk outside and talking to her the whole time, reading her books or just playing with her while he talked to her- this was when she began to realize that I was not going to go away if he had her- again, if she fussed I would pick her up after Dave tried to sooth her- after a very long six weeks, she was daddy's girl and even perfered him to me unless she was really tired! I have written a novel here, I am sorry. But I do live in the same area as you so if you want to talk, send me an email at jansboys4@yahoo.com
Gracyn is just beautiful, I hope things turn around soon with DH.
Hugs,
Janalee

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

HI Tiff :)

thanks so much for sharing this. I love every post you send and want to know the real and the raw. I am prayin for Miss Gracyn :) I send you big big hugs too my freind :)

Tami
Noah's Mama
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

Megan said...

Tiff, You are doing great it is really hard at first. Good for you for following your gut, a toddler from FF is not easy. Gracyn video running to you is awesome, she is just starting to blossom.
XOXO,
Megan

Staci said...

Hey Tiff,
I wish I could offer some advice to you. A mom's instinct is always right, so listening to your gut is great! I will pray that Gracyn finds peace during the night.
Hugs,
Staci

The Family K. said...

Thanks for sharing every angle of your story. It sounds like Gracyn has made so much progress since Day 1. You are a great mom whose devotion to your little girl really shines through, esp. in the tough times.

Michelle R Photography said...

God has blessed you with such a beautiful family!! Your poem for Gracyn is just lovely. But I am sorry to read that you are having difficulties through the night and that she does not yet look to her daddy for comfort. I know how difficult it was for me when Mia did not let me touch her or hold her for the first two weeks. She only wanted her daddy. It was both physically exhausting for him, and emotionally as well, as he hated to see my heart ache. After our first two weeks, we really haven't had any more issues with attachment, but she did grieve through the night. We spent our first year with sleepless nights every night - Mia up 2-5 hours each night, often with night terrors and neither of us could console her. These are moments in the past for us, but very real and raw for you today. I will lift Gracyn up in prayer, that God may bring peace to her heart and help her come to trust and find comfort in both of you.

Tisra said...

First- thank you for your honesty. The raw posts help everyone, I think... those in your immediate circle wishing to help you, those of us who will one day walk this path and question if everyone else had a hard time, too... and, I believe an honest post like this even helps those who've put their rough adoption moments behind them because it encourages them to be frank and open. Armed with more information, we're all better off.

Secondly, I think you are doing a beautiful job and I pray and trust that the Lord will give you encouragement, and rest (He is our rest!), and tools to aid Gracyn's adjustment. Continue to write down her progress (even if privately) so that you can see for yourself how far your God has taken you. Bit by bit, He carries you into a secure and love-filled reality. And, as you look back on journal entries, your faith each hurdle to be overcome will grow. (please know, I preach to myself as much as you... right now I am very much looking back on God's previous faithfulness to bolster my hope in current circumstances!).

Tisra
waiting for referral (for what seems like forever, but is really only 17 months!)
http://lifetrain.blogspot.com
www.tisrafadelyoriginals.etsy.com

Room for More said...

Oh Tiffany, I have been and will pray for your sweet baby. I know lack of sleep is not fun (I am still up 2-3x w/E) After having my 4th child later in life, I now break all my 'former' rules. Hold, rock, whatever it takes. You are a patient, loving, and loving mother to her.

I appreciate your candidness, b/c it allows us to pray for you and also gives those of us adopting toddlers a glimpse inside. I am learning so much from your posts and am encouraged as a mother and a believer each time I check in.

I will be praying that each night is a bit easier. I will be praying for you too!

Shannon