Today while still in Taipei we visited the Jade Market and Flower Market. We were there pretty early, so I don't think everyone was quite set up yet. It was fun and I picked out a few things for Gracyn!

On the way to Sogo's we peeked in the Hello Kitty Bakery. . .We might take Gracyn here to celebrate her birthday!

At Sogo and Sogo II there is so much to look at! The Kids' department was great, but almost overwhelming. (BTW, Sogo's shoe department is comparable to the Mitsukoshi in Tainan - not sure if Mitsukoshi by Taipei 101 is bigger?) If you buy anything there, just know that you go up to the what you think is the register, they give you a total, you hand your money to someone else, who takes it to a "real" register" while you wait in the middle of the store. Then, they come back to you with the goods wrapped, and a receipt. Service is great here, just remember it's different. We at at Sogo's in the food court. We ordered noodles in a hot pot. Not bad, but different flavor. Very tangy. Hard to find seating!
We decided to take an earlier train to Tainan. First incident: We ended up in the wrong car, which was headed to the airport. Luckily the hotel realized the mix-up just a minute or two into the drive, so we went around the block, and hopped into a different car.
HSR was about 10 minutes from Les Suites. Tip 1: When they drop you off, go through the doors, and to the right. You can typically hop on an earlier train with no problem, so when in doubt, Tip 2: Book a later departure.


On HSR to Tainan, we encountered Incident 2: HSR + DAD + Hot Tamales = BAD NEWS
So, I know you're wondering. . .hot tamales? Well, about 20 minutes into the ride, we were snacking on hot tamales, and my dad started to laugh, and you know how when you inhale, you sort of choke on things. . .Well, he choked. And I mean, choked. I'm sure my DH is going, "WHAT?!" - He was able to take water down, so there was room, but I could tell from his cough it was not normal, not good, bad news. I made him stand up, hit his back, he coughed as hard as he could. . .mind you everyone is staring at us now, and the poor girl in front of us is probably freaked out, although she was calm, spoke English, and was offering to call the Emergency Line for us. Luckily, it cleared, and all was okay. . .Tip 3: Don't eat Hot Tamales on the HSR. Tip 4: They do have an Emergency Line, so if you happen to choke, make sure your travel mate gets someone to call for you.


We made it to Tainan. I felt better that we had the "incident" - you know how you always expect something to happen?! Well, I felt like it did, so we could move on. Tip 5: When you get off of the HSR, exit the back door of your cabin. Tip 6: Have your ticket out because you need it to exit the terminal. Tip 7: When you come down the escalator, even though Door 2 shows taxis, make a u-turn and go for Door Number 4. That's where the taxi queue is.

Last 3 tips of the day:
Tip 8: The difference between the old Taiwan and New Taiwan Dollars, is a shiny silver bar running across the bill (width wise). I was super careful during the exchange to request New Taiwan Dollars, and I still got a few bills that were "old" and not accepted.
Tip 9: If you forget anything, make sure it's a toothbrush. They have them everywhere with toothpaste. On the plane, in your hotel room, etc.
Tip 10: Print out what you can in Chinese. I brought an itinerary, with locations in both English and Chinese. For the ones I didn't have, Les Suites was kind enough to translate. They even looked up places that they were unsure of.
On the way to Sogo's we peeked in the Hello Kitty Bakery. . .We might take Gracyn here to celebrate her birthday!
At Sogo and Sogo II there is so much to look at! The Kids' department was great, but almost overwhelming. (BTW, Sogo's shoe department is comparable to the Mitsukoshi in Tainan - not sure if Mitsukoshi by Taipei 101 is bigger?) If you buy anything there, just know that you go up to the what you think is the register, they give you a total, you hand your money to someone else, who takes it to a "real" register" while you wait in the middle of the store. Then, they come back to you with the goods wrapped, and a receipt. Service is great here, just remember it's different. We at at Sogo's in the food court. We ordered noodles in a hot pot. Not bad, but different flavor. Very tangy. Hard to find seating!
We decided to take an earlier train to Tainan. First incident: We ended up in the wrong car, which was headed to the airport. Luckily the hotel realized the mix-up just a minute or two into the drive, so we went around the block, and hopped into a different car.
HSR was about 10 minutes from Les Suites. Tip 1: When they drop you off, go through the doors, and to the right. You can typically hop on an earlier train with no problem, so when in doubt, Tip 2: Book a later departure.
On HSR to Tainan, we encountered Incident 2: HSR + DAD + Hot Tamales = BAD NEWS
So, I know you're wondering. . .hot tamales? Well, about 20 minutes into the ride, we were snacking on hot tamales, and my dad started to laugh, and you know how when you inhale, you sort of choke on things. . .Well, he choked. And I mean, choked. I'm sure my DH is going, "WHAT?!" - He was able to take water down, so there was room, but I could tell from his cough it was not normal, not good, bad news. I made him stand up, hit his back, he coughed as hard as he could. . .mind you everyone is staring at us now, and the poor girl in front of us is probably freaked out, although she was calm, spoke English, and was offering to call the Emergency Line for us. Luckily, it cleared, and all was okay. . .Tip 3: Don't eat Hot Tamales on the HSR. Tip 4: They do have an Emergency Line, so if you happen to choke, make sure your travel mate gets someone to call for you.
We made it to Tainan. I felt better that we had the "incident" - you know how you always expect something to happen?! Well, I felt like it did, so we could move on. Tip 5: When you get off of the HSR, exit the back door of your cabin. Tip 6: Have your ticket out because you need it to exit the terminal. Tip 7: When you come down the escalator, even though Door 2 shows taxis, make a u-turn and go for Door Number 4. That's where the taxi queue is.
Last 3 tips of the day:
Tip 8: The difference between the old Taiwan and New Taiwan Dollars, is a shiny silver bar running across the bill (width wise). I was super careful during the exchange to request New Taiwan Dollars, and I still got a few bills that were "old" and not accepted.
Tip 9: If you forget anything, make sure it's a toothbrush. They have them everywhere with toothpaste. On the plane, in your hotel room, etc.
Tip 10: Print out what you can in Chinese. I brought an itinerary, with locations in both English and Chinese. For the ones I didn't have, Les Suites was kind enough to translate. They even looked up places that they were unsure of.
Ate a great meal in the basement of the Mitsukoshi, opted not to push Dad, so we skipped the Night Market, but did go to to the Carrefours - combination of Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and Barnes and Noble! They have the paci's that they use at SLC there (or they're at least very similar - there are 3 brands. Koala packaging has no "lines" on the nipple, one brand has the lines, and comes in clear, other brand has the lines and comes in colors with a matching case.)
View of from our room at Tayih Landis
Room - 2 Single Beds "Supreme" Room, pretty standard - very spacious
Bathroom, complete with separate tub
Mitsukoshi treats for Gracyn (box was irresistible, & Peyton (Thomas the Train Pocky!)
Tomorrow we spend the day in Pingtung! Last day before I get to hold Gracyn!!!! And, I'm still relaxed. . .even after the Hot Tamale incident. Please pray for us! That we have good health, no more "incidents", an enjoyable day in Gracyn's birthplace, for my DH and Peyton back at home, and for continued peace as I finish up the last bit of my wait for Gracyn. Sweet dreams, my sweet Grace.
D & P - Love you guys and miss you!!!
10 comments:
So glad to hear your dad recovered. That must have been frightening. I can't believe your'e this close away from meeting Gracyn. I'll be checking your blog every 5 minutes from here on :)
Nice job, you guys, you're almost there!
I couldn't wait to log on this morning and see a new update. Short of the "incident" sounds like the trip is going well. LOVE the Hello Kitty bakery! Anxiously waiting for the next update.
Hugs ((:0))
I am so incredibly excited for you! :) I can't wait to follow you :) I will make a mental note no hot tamales on High speed train! And I do like those alot and mike and ikes. Will save for hotel :) heehee
Can't wait for next message :)
Hugs
Tami
Noah's Mommy
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com
So happy that you are doing this and keeping us all in touch! I wished that I had because it is so awesome to feel like we are kind of there with you. Know that we are! I'm checking all the time.
Lora
Fabulous tips, and, most of all, I am thrilled that you are calm and will soon be meeting your daughter! Breathe it all in, enjoy it slowly, and then run back to your computer and tell us all about it!!! :-)
Tisra
mommy to three
waiting for referral of our fourth blessing (16 mo. on the list!)
I am so excited for you and I love that you're so calm and able to keep us all updated. I didn't take my computer (and had a sick child) so I didn't blog until I got home. It's great to feel like I'm right there with you! Your room looks just like ours (I know they probably all look alike!) and your journey sounds great so far. I'll be checking back soon to see what you're up to. I just realized it's Sunday morning there so you are really, really close to meeting Gracyn! Enjoy!
Hugs, Lori, Sierra and Samantha!
From across the room Sierra saw the Hello Kitty Sweet shop and ran over to see if you had been there. We passed that several times a day and she really wanted to go but was not well enough so she said taking Gracyn there is a really good and fabulous idea!
Have fun! Love, Lori
Ok... I won't eat the tamales... sheesh! I am SO glad that he is ok. That had to stop your heart a bit!
The room looks nice! I hope you are having fun. You should be on your way to Ping Tung now! Which is exciting because I don't know if I told you but Jo is from Ping Tung Too!!! so that is cool!! Oh and the stores.. YES, that was interesting and kind of scared me. They chased me down because I didn't know I wasn't to carry anything around! I have SO MANY receipts from last time because of that! I am waiting for the moment when you post those "Got Gracyn pictures!!!!"
I'm so excited for your family! I'm glad the choking resolved. I can not wait to see you with The beautiful Gracyn. I'm praying for smooth return trip.
Lots of Love,
Megan
Post a Comment